- Coastline: 1,738 miles (2,798 km)
- Land Area:
(land) 468,907 sq miles (1,214,470 sq km)
(water) 1,784 sq miles (4,620 sq km)
(TOTAL) 470,691 sq miles (1,219,090 sq km)
To convert sq km (kilometers) to sq mi (miles)
use our converter
- Land Area: (all countries)
- Land Divisions: There are 9 provinces in South Africa. They are Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North-West, Northern Cape and Western Cape.
- Horizontal Width: 854.4 miles (1,375.02 km) from Port Nolloth east to Durban
- Vertical Length: 626.62 miles (1,008.45 km) from Musina south to Umtata
Note: Lengths and widths are point-to-point, straight-line measurements from a Mercator map projection, and will vary some using other map projections
- Bordering Countries: (6) Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe
- Geographic Center: About 43.24 miles (69.58 km) west of Bloemfontein
- Highest Point: Njesuthi 11,181 ft. (3,408 m)
- Lowest Point: Indian Ocean 0m
- Latitude and Longitude
- Relative Location
South Africa's Information
|Land Area||1,214,470 km2|
|Water Area||4,620 km2|
|Total Area||1,219,090km2 (#24)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$739.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$13,500|
|More Information||South Africa|
In The News
About South Africa
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
Why Does Ice Float?
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
Is the Moon a Planet or a Star?
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
Which Country Has the Most Lakes?
The Most Popular Sports in the World
29 Largest Armies In The World