Burkina Faso's Information
|Land Area||273,800 km2|
|Water Area||400 km2|
|Total Area||274,200km2 (#74)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$32.99 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$1,800|
|More Information||Burkina Faso|
View all cities in Burkina Faso
- Coastline: 0 km landlocked (0 miles)
- Land Area:
(land) 105,714 sq miles (273,800 sq km)
(water) 154 sq miles (400 sq km)
(TOTAL) 105,869 sq miles (274,200 sq km)
To convert sq km (kilometers) to sq mi (miles)
use our converter
- Land Area: (all countries)
- Land Divisions: There are 45 provinces, including: Bale, Bam, Banwa, Bazega, Bougouriba, Boulgou, Boulkiemde, Comoe, Ganzourgou, Gnagna, Gourma, Houet, Ioba, Kadiogo, Kenedougou, Komondjari, Kompienga, Kossi, Koulpelogo, Kouritenga, Kourweogo, Leraba, Loroum, Mouhoun, Namentenga, Nahouri, Nayala, Noumbiel, Oubritenga, Oudalan, Passore, Poni, Sanguie, Sanmatenga, Seno, Sissili, Soum, Sourou, Tapoa, Tuy, Yagha, Yatenga, Ziro, Zondoma, Zoundweogo
- Horizontal Width: 266.21 miles (428.43 km) from Bobo-Dioulasso east to Tenkodogo
- Vertical Length: 207.47 miles (333.9 km) from Gorom Gorom south to Tenkodogo
Note: Lengths and widths are point-to-point, straight-line measurements from a Mercator map projection, and will vary some using other map projections
- Bordering Countries: (6) Benin, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Togo
- Geographic Center: About 12.17 miles (19.58 km) east of Ouagadougou
- Highest Point: Tena Kouron 2,451 ft. (747 m)
- Lowest Point: Mouhoun (Black Volta) River 656 ft. (200 m)
- Latitude and Longitude
- Relative Location
Burkina Faso Trivia
What Languages are Spoken in Burkina Faso?
French is Burkina Faso’s official language. Mossi is the most widely spoken language of Burkina Faso, as it is spoken by nearly 40% of the country’s population. Most people living in the country’s urban areas are multilingual, while the rural population uses their native languages for common activities.
What Languages Are Spoken in Burkina Faso?
What is the Culture of Burkina Faso Like?
Burkina Faso has great ethnic diversity. The Mossi is the largest ethnic community living in the country, comprising of 52% of the population. The ethnic minorities with a significant presence in the country are the Fulani (8.4%), Gurma (7%), Bobo (4.9%), Gurunsi (4.6%), and Senufo (4.5%). The legacy of the French colonial rule in Burkina Faso is visible in the country. For one thing, the official language in Burkina Faso is French. Different ethnic groups also speak their own indigenous languages. Muslims represent 61.5% of the population of Burkina Faso. Christians, both Catholics and Protestants, are also present in significant numbers. A large section of the population adheres to the traditional indigenous religions.
The Culture Of Burkina Faso
Which Is The Largest Ethnic Group In Burkina Faso?
The Mossi is the largest ethnic group in Burkina Faso and accounts for 50.2% of the country’s population. The Fulani, Bobo, Gurma, and Mandé are some of the ethnic minorities of the country.
Largest Ethnic Groups In Burkina Faso
What is the Capital of Burkina Faso?
The capital city of Burkina Faso is Ouagadougou.
What is the Capital of Burkina Faso?
What Is The Dominant Religious Belief In Burkina Faso?
Islam is the religion of the majority in Burkina Faso. 61.1% of the country’s population adhere to this religion. 19.0% of the population practice Roman Catholicism. 11.3% practice indigenous African beliefs. Protestant Christianity is the religion of 5.5% of the population.
Religious Beliefs In Burkina Faso
Which Is The Most Populous City In Burkina Faso?
With a population of more than 2 million, Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso, is also its most populous city.