- Land Area:
(land) 55,869 sq miles
(water) 402 sq miles
(TOTAL) 56,271 sq miles
- Land Area: (all states)
- Horizontal Width: 310 miles
- Vertical Length: 211 miles
Note: Maximum lengths and widths are point-to-point,
straight-line measurements from a Mercator map projection, and will
vary some using other map projections
- Bordering States: (6) Minnesota , Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota
- Counties: (99) Map
- County: (largest by population) Polk, 374,601
- Geographic Center: Approximately 6 miles northeast of Ames in Story County
- Highest Point: Hawkeye Point, 1,670 ft.
- Lowest Point: At the junction of the Des Moines and Mississippi Rivers, at 480 ft.
- Latitude and Longitude
- Mean Elevation: 1,108 ft.
- Relative Location