|Land Area||1,531,595 km2|
|Water Area||116,600 km2|
|Total Area||1,648,195km2 (#17)|
|Government Type||Theocratic Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$1,460.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$18,100|
View all cities in Iran
- Coastline: 1,516 miles (2,440 km; note - Iran also borders the Caspian Sea 740 km)
- Land Area:
(land) 591,349 sq miles (1,531,595 sq km)
(water) 45,019 sq miles (116,600 sq km)
(TOTAL) 636,368 sq miles (1,648,195 sq km)
To convert sq km (kilometers) to sq mi (miles)
use our converter
- Land Area: (all countries)
- Land Divisions: There are 30 provinces in Iran. They are Ardabil, Azarbayjan-e Gharbi, Azarbayjan-e Sharqi, Bushehr, Chahar Mahall va Bakhtiari, Esfahan, Fars, Gilan, Golestan, Hamadan, Hormozgan, Ilam, Kerman, Kermanshah, Khorasan-e Janubi, Khorasan-e Razavi, Khorasan-e Shemali, Khuzestan, Kohgiluyeh va Buyer Ahmad, Kordestan, Lorestan, Markazi, Mazandaran, Qazvin, Qom, Semnan, Sistan va Baluchestan, Tehran, Yazd and Zanjan.
- Horizontal Width: 612.77 miles (986.16 km) from Bushehr east to Zahedan
- Vertical Length: 484.9 miles (780.37 km) from Bushehr north to Tehran
Note: Lengths and widths are point-to-point, straight-line measurements from a Mercator map projection, and will vary some using other map projections
- Bordering Countries: (7) Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Pakistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan
- Geographic Center: About 103.28 miles (166.21 km) northeast of Yazd
- Highest Point: Damavand 18,934 ft (5,771 m)
- Lowest Point: Caspian Sea -91 ft (-28 m)
- Latitude and Longitude
- Relative Location
Which Countries Have a Theocratic Government?
Some of the countries with a theocratic government include Yemen, Vatican City, Sudan, and Mauritania.
7 Countries With A Theocratic Government Today
What Languages are Spoken in Iran?
Persian is the official language of Iran and is spoken by over 50% of the country's population.
What Languages Are Spoken in Iran?
When Was the Iranian Revolution?
Between 1978 and 1979, the Pahlavi Dynasty was overthrown and replaced by a new Islamic Republic of Iran. The revolution was mostly non-violent, although there were incidents of armed struggle.
Iranian Revolution: Causes, Events, and Effects
What Kind of Government Does Iran Have?
Iran is a Middle-Eastern country also known as the Islamic Republic of Iran and has a theocratic government, in which most policies are based on Islamic religious ideologies.
What Type Of Government Does Iran Have?
What Are Some Native Plants Of Iran?
Zagros Field Elm, Persian Ironwood, Velvet Maple, Schrenck's Tulip, Miss Willmott's Ghost, Fall Daffodil, etc., are some native plants of Iran.
Native Plant Species Of Iran
What Continent is Iran In?
Although considered to be part of the Middle East, Iran is located in the western portion of the continent of Asia.