|Land Area||1,531,595 km2|
|Water Area||116,600 km2|
|Total Area||1,648,195km2 (#17)|
|Government Type||Theocratic Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$1,460.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$18,100|
View all cities in Iran
- Coastline: 1,516 miles (2,440 km; note - Iran also borders the Caspian Sea 740 km)
- Land Area:
(land) 591,349 sq miles (1,531,595 sq km)
(water) 45,019 sq miles (116,600 sq km)
(TOTAL) 636,368 sq miles (1,648,195 sq km)
To convert sq km (kilometers) to sq mi (miles)
use our converter
- Land Area: (all countries)
- Land Divisions: There are 30 provinces in Iran. They are Ardabil, Azarbayjan-e Gharbi, Azarbayjan-e Sharqi, Bushehr, Chahar Mahall va Bakhtiari, Esfahan, Fars, Gilan, Golestan, Hamadan, Hormozgan, Ilam, Kerman, Kermanshah, Khorasan-e Janubi, Khorasan-e Razavi, Khorasan-e Shemali, Khuzestan, Kohgiluyeh va Buyer Ahmad, Kordestan, Lorestan, Markazi, Mazandaran, Qazvin, Qom, Semnan, Sistan va Baluchestan, Tehran, Yazd and Zanjan.
- Horizontal Width: 612.77 miles (986.16 km) from Bushehr east to Zahedan
- Vertical Length: 484.9 miles (780.37 km) from Bushehr north to Tehran
Note: Lengths and widths are point-to-point, straight-line measurements from a Mercator map projection, and will vary some using other map projections
- Bordering Countries: (7) Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Pakistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan
- Geographic Center: About 103.28 miles (166.21 km) northeast of Yazd
- Highest Point: Damavand 18,934 ft (5,771 m)
- Lowest Point: Caspian Sea -91 ft (-28 m)
- Latitude and Longitude
- Relative Location
When Was the Iranian Revolution?
Between 1978 and 1979, the Pahlavi Dynasty was overthrown and replaced by a new Islamic Republic of Iran. The revolution was mostly non-violent, although there were incidents of armed struggle.
Iranian Revolution: Causes, Events, and Effects
What Kind of Government Does Iran Have?
Iran is a Middle-Eastern country also known as the Islamic Republic of Iran and has a theocratic government, in which most policies are based on Islamic religious ideologies.
What Type Of Government Does Iran Have?
What is the Major Religion in Iran?
Iran is an Islamic state where close to 98% of the population identifies as being Muslim. The nation’s constitution is largely based on Islamic law. The dominant religious group in Iran is the Shia Muslims. Sunni Muslims are the second largest religious group.
Religious Beliefs And Freedoms In Iran
What is the Biggest City in Iran?
The Iranian capital city of Tehran is home to more than 15 million people in its metropolitan area, making it the largest city in the country.
Biggest Cities In Iran
What Languages are Spoken in Iran?
Persian is the official language of Iran and is spoken by over 50% of the country's population.
What Languages Are Spoken in Iran?
What type of economy does Iran have?
ran has a mixed transitional economy that is dominated by gas and oil production industries.