- Capital City: Juneau (pop. 32,164) (2011)
- Alaska Population: 731,449 (2012) (47th)
- Alaska Population: (per square mile)
- U.S. State Populations: (all states)
- Currency: U.S. Dollar (conversion rates)
all u.s. currency (banknotes)
- Alaska Quarter: The fourth commemorative quarter
coin released in 2008 honors Alaska, and is the 49th coin in the United
States Mint's 50 State Quarters® Program.
Alaska was admitted into the Union on January 3, 1959, becoming our Nation's 49th State. Alaska's quarter features an image of a grizzly bear emerging from the water clutching a salmon in its jaws. The design also includes the North Star above the inscription "The Great Land". Two other inscriptions are displayed on the coin: "Alaska" and "1959."
The salmon and grizzly bear represent the natural beauty and abundant wildlife in Alaska. The bear presents strength and the salmon represents the nutrition that provides the strength. Approximately 98% of the United States' grizzly bear population are found in Alaska and can be seen in Denali and Katmai National Parks, Kodiak and Admiralty Islands. Additional details
- Land Sizes
- Language: English, others
- Largest Cities: (by population) Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks, Sitka, Ketchikan, Kenai
- Name: The name Alaska is a derivative of the Aleut word "Alyeska" which means "great land" or "that which the sea breaks against."
- Statehood: January 3, 1959 (49th state)
Juneau, Alaska in 1887
Juneau, Alaska, 2012
Alaska Cities, Counties & Area Codes
|Fairbanks||Fairbanks North Star||907|
|Iliamna||Lake and Peninsula||907|
|Craig||Prince of Wales Hyder||907|
|Delta Junction||Southeast Fairbanks||907|
|Hooper Bay||Wade Hampton||907|
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
What are Roman Numerals?
What Are The Differences Between A Lake And A Pond?
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
The Most Popular Sports in the World
Are Kangaroos Only Found In Australia?
29 Largest Armies In The World