- Land Area:
(land) 75,885 sq miles
(water) 1,224 sq miles
(TOTAL) 77,109 sq miles
- Land Area: (all states)
- Horizontal Width: 378 miles
- Vertical Length: 222 miles
Note: Maximum lengths and widths are point-to-point,
straight-line measurements from a Mercator map projection, and will
vary some using other map projections
- Bordering States: (6) Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa. Nebraska
- Counties: (66) Map
- County: (largest by population) Minnehaha, 148,281
- Geographic Center: approximately 9 miles northeast of Pierre, in Hughes County
- Highest Point: Harney Peak, 7,242 ft.
- Lowest Point: Along the Minnesota border in Big Stone Lake, 966 ft.
- Latitude and Longitude
- Mean Elevation: 2,186 ft.
- Relative Location