- Land Area:
(land) 48,711 sq miles
(water) 5,103 sq miles
(TOTAL) 63,814 sq miles
- Land Area: (all states)
- Horizontal Width: 421 miles from Great Smoky Mountains National Park, east to Roanoke Island.
- Vertical Length: 182 miles from Sunset Beach, straight north to the Virginia border
Note: Lengths and widths are point-to-point, straight-line measurements from a Mercator map projection, and will vary some using other map projections
- Bordering States: (4) South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia
- Counties: (100) Map
- County: (largest by population) Mecklenburg 827,445
- Geographic Center: about 11 miles to the NW of Sanford in Charham County
- Highest Point: Mt. Mitchell, at 6,684 ft.
- Lowest Point: Atlantic Ocean, 0 ft.
- Latitude and Longitude
- Mean Elevation: 707 ft.
- Relative Location