|Land Area||2,973,193 km2|
|Water Area||314,070 km2|
|Total Area||3,287,263km2 (#7)|
|Government Type||Federal Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$8,720.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$6,700|
View all cities in India
- Name: India
(long form) Republic of India
- Capital City: New Delhi (249,998 mun. corp. pop.)
- India Population: 1,220,800,359 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Indian Rupee (INR)
20 Indian Rupees
- Ethnicity: Indo-Aryan 72%, Dravidian 25%, Mongoloid and other 3%
- GDP total: $4.784 trillion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $3,900 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Hindi 41%, Bengali 8.1%, Telugu 7.2%,
Marathi 7%, Tamil 5.9%, Urdu 5%, Gujarati 4.5%, Kannada 3.7%, Malayalam
3.2%, Oriya 3.2%, Punjabi 2.8%, Assamese 1.3%, Maithili 1.2%, other 5.9%
Note: English is the subsidiary official language, but is the most important language for national, political, and commercial communication; Hindi is the most widely spoken language and primary tongue of 41% of the people; there are 14 other official languages: Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Oriya, Punjabi, Assamese, Kashmiri, Sindhi, and Sanskrit; Hindustani is a popular variant of Hindi/Urdu spoken widely throughout northern India but is not an official language
- Largest Cities: (by population) Mumbai (Bombay), Delhi, Calcutta, Bangalore, Chennai (Madras)
- Name: From the Old Persian word Hindu, the local name for the Indus River
- National Day: January 26
- Religion: Hindu 80.5%, Muslim 13.4%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other 1.8%, unspecified 0.1%
What is the Biggest City in India?
With a population of 18.4 million people, Mumbai is the largest city in India by population.
The 10 Largest Cities in India
What Languages are Spoken in India?
Hindi is the most spoken language in India, and also one of the country's official languages. Around 550 million people in India speak Hindi. After Hindi, English is the most widely spoken language in the country, with around 125 million speakers. Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu, and Kannada are all also spoken.
What Language Is Spoken in India?
What are the Largest Ethnic Groups in India?
The five major ethnic groups of Dravidian people in India are Kannadiga, Malayali, Tulu, Tamil, and Telugu.
Biggest Ethnic Groups In India
What Were the Indo-Pakistan Wars?
India and Pakistan have gone to war against each other four times since their independence from the U.K. and subsequent partition into separate sovereign states.