South Africa's Information
|Land Area||1,214,470 km2|
|Water Area||4,620 km2|
|Total Area||1,219,090km2 (#24)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$739.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$13,500|
View all cities in South Africa
- Name: South Africa
(long form) Republic of South Africa
- Capital City: Pretoria (pop. 1,985,997)
Cape Town (pop. 3,497,097); legislative center
Bloemfontein (pop. 369,568); judicial center
- South Africa Population: 48,601,098 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: South African Rand (ZAR)
- Ethnicity: black African 79%, white 9.6%, colored 8.9%, Indian/Asian 2.5%
- GDP total: $592 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $11,600 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: IsiZulu (official) 23.8%, IsiXhosa (official) 17.6%, Afrikaans (official) 13.3%, Sepedi (official) 9.4%, English (official) 8.2%, Setswana (official) 8.2%, Sesotho (official) 7.9%, Xitsonga (official) 4.4%, other 7.2%, isiNdebele (official), Tshivenda (official), siSwati (official)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Soweto, Port Elizabeth, Pietermaritzburg, Benoni, Vereeniging
- Name: Self-descriptive, from its location
- National Day: April 27
- Religion: Zion Christian 11.1%, Pentecostal/Charismatic 8.2%, Catholic 7.1%, Methodist 6.8%, Dutch Reformed 6.7%, Anglican 3.8%, Muslim 1.5%, other Christian 36%, other 2.3%, unspecified 1.4%, none 15.1%
South Africa Trivia
What is the Largest Ethnic Group in South Africa?
An estimated 80.48% of the population self-identifies as black South African making this the most populous ethnic group in the country.
Ethnic Groups of South Africa
What Kind of Fish Live in South Africa?
Some of the fish species that are native to South Africa include the plain squeaker, the sixgill hagfish, and the hyphen barb.