|Land Area||7,682,300 km2|
|Water Area||58,920 km2|
|Total Area||7,741,220km2 (#6)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Democracy (Federal Parliament) Under A Constitutional Monarchy; A Commonwealth Realm|
|GDP (PPP)||$1,190.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$48,800|
View all cities in Australia
- Name: Australia
(long form) Commonwealth of Australia
- Capital City: Canberra (367,752 pop.)
- Australia Population: 23,480,939 (2014 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
5 Australian Dollars
- Australian Ethnicity: (countrywide breakdown) English 32%, Australian 27%, Irish 7%, Italian 4%, indigenous 3%, Scottish 2%, German 2%, Chinese 2%
- Australian Languages: (countrywide breakdown) English 78.5%, Chinese 2.5%, Italian 1.6%, Greek 1.3%, Arabic 1.2%, Vietnamese 1%, other 8.2%, unspecified 5.7% (2006 Census)
- Australian Religion: (countrywide breakdown) Protestant 27.4% (Anglican 18.7%, Uniting Church 5.7%, Presbyterian and Reformed 3%), Catholic 25.8%, Eastern Orthodox 2.7%, other Christian 7.9%, Buddhist 2.1%, Muslim 1.7%, other 2.4%, unspecified 11.3%, none 18.7% (2006 Census)
- GDP total: $907.7 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $42,400 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Largest Cities: (by population) Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Canberra, Wollongong, Logan City
- Name: From the Latin australis, meaning "southern"
- National Day: January 26
About the AuthorJohn Moen is a cartographer who along with his wife are the orignal founders of worldatlas.com. He and his wife, Chris Woolwine-Moen, produced thousands of award-winning maps that are used all over the world and content that aids students, teachers, travelers and parents with their geography and map questions. Today, it's one of the most popular educational sites on the web.
Australia territories, states & their capitals
What is the Biggest State and Territory in Australia?
The biggest territory in Australia is Western Australia, which has a land area of 2.5 square kilometers. Queensland is the largest state with a land area of 1.7 square kilometers.
Australian States and Territories By Population
What Are the Major Ethnic Backgrounds of Australians?
67.4% of Australians cite British heritage. 8.7% of Australians claim Irish ancestry, 3.8% claim Italian, and 3.7% claim German. Australians of Chinese heritage represent 3.6% of the population, while Aboriginal Australians account for 3% of the population.
Demographics and Ethnic Groups of Australia
What is the Richest State in Australia?
WIth a net growth of 88 million, New South Wales is considered to be the richest state in Australia.
Richest And Poorest States Of Australia
What is the Official Language of Australia?
English is the de facto national language of Australia.
What Languages Are Spoken In Australia?
What are the Major Industries in Australia?
The service industry comprises of over 70% of the Australia GDP. It dominates the economy, which employs over 79% of the labor force. Other major industries include tourism, healthcare, media, finance, and mining.
What Are The Biggest Industries In Australia?
Do Kangaroos Live Outside of Australia?
Kangaroos are only found in Australia.