|Land Area||7,682,300 km2|
|Water Area||58,920 km2|
|Total Area||7,741,220km2 (#6)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Democracy (Federal Parliament) Under A Constitutional Monarchy; A Commonwealth Realm|
|GDP (PPP)||$1,190.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$48,800|
View all cities in Australia
- Name: Australia
(long form) Commonwealth of Australia
- Capital City: Canberra (367,752 pop.)
- Australia Population: 23,480,939 (2014 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
5 Australian Dollars
- Australian Ethnicity: (countrywide breakdown) English 32%, Australian 27%, Irish 7%, Italian 4%, indigenous 3%, Scottish 2%, German 2%, Chinese 2%
- Australian Languages: (countrywide breakdown) English 78.5%, Chinese 2.5%, Italian 1.6%, Greek 1.3%, Arabic 1.2%, Vietnamese 1%, other 8.2%, unspecified 5.7% (2006 Census)
- Australian Religion: (countrywide breakdown) Protestant 27.4% (Anglican 18.7%, Uniting Church 5.7%, Presbyterian and Reformed 3%), Catholic 25.8%, Eastern Orthodox 2.7%, other Christian 7.9%, Buddhist 2.1%, Muslim 1.7%, other 2.4%, unspecified 11.3%, none 18.7% (2006 Census)
- GDP total: $907.7 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $42,400 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Largest Cities: (by population) Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Canberra, Wollongong, Logan City
- Name: From the Latin australis, meaning "southern"
- National Day: January 26
Australia territories, states & their capitals
What is the Official Language of Australia?
English is the de facto national language of Australia.
What Languages Are Spoken In Australia?
What Are the Major Ethnic Backgrounds of Australians?
67.4% of Australians cite British heritage. 8.7% of Australians claim Irish ancestry, 3.8% claim Italian, and 3.7% claim German. Australians of Chinese heritage represent 3.6% of the population, while Aboriginal Australians account for 3% of the population.
Demographics and Ethnic Groups of Australia
What are the Major Industries in Australia?
The service industry comprises of over 70% of the Australia GDP. It dominates the economy, which employs over 79% of the labor force. Other major industries include tourism, healthcare, media, finance, and mining.
What Are The Biggest Industries In Australia?
What are the Deadliest Snakes in Australia?
The deadliest snakes in Australia include the southern death adder, the lowlands copperhead, the inland fierce taipan, the gwardar, and the coastal eastern taipan.
10 Deadliest Snakes Of Australia
What Kind of Plants Live in Australia?
Some of the native plant species of Australia include the archer's eremophila, the lance-leaved sundew and the bull kauri.
Native Plants Of Australia
What is the Biggest Mall in Australia?
The 2 million square foot Chadstone Shopping Centre in Malvern East, Victoria, is the largest shopping center in Australia. Until the year 2009, it was the largest shopping center in the Southern Hemisphere. Other large shopping malls include the 1.9 million square foot Westfield Fountain Gate in Melbourne and Westfield Sydney, which is 1.8 million square feet.