Burkina Faso's Information
|Land Area||273,800 km2|
|Water Area||400 km2|
|Total Area||274,200km2 (#74)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$32.99 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$1,800|
|More Information||Burkina Faso|
View all cities in Burkina Faso
- Name: Burkina Faso
- Capital City: Oaugadougou (1,475,223 pop.)
- Burkina Faso Population: 17,812,961 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: West African CFA franc
5000 West African CFA francs
- Ethnicity: Mossi over 40%, other approximately 60% (includes Gurunsi, Senufo, Lobi, Bobo, Mande, and Fulani)
- GDP total: $24.03 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $1,400 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: French (official), native African languages belonging to Sudanic family are spoken by 90% of the population
- Largest Cities: (by population) Oaugadougou, Bobo Dioulasso, Koudougou
- Name: Meaning, "Land of honest man," the name was selected by President Thomas Sankara following his 1983 coup.
- National Day: December 11
- Religion: Muslim 50%, indigenous beliefs 40%, Christian (mainly Roman Catholic) 10%
Burkina Faso Trivia
What Languages are Spoken in Burkina Faso?
French is Burkina Faso’s official language. Mossi is the most widely spoken language of Burkina Faso, as it is spoken by nearly 40% of the country’s population. Most people living in the country’s urban areas are multilingual, while the rural population uses their native languages for common activities.
What Languages Are Spoken in Burkina Faso?
What is the Culture of Burkina Faso Like?
Burkina Faso has great ethnic diversity. The Mossi is the largest ethnic community living in the country, comprising of 52% of the population. The ethnic minorities with a significant presence in the country are the Fulani (8.4%), Gurma (7%), Bobo (4.9%), Gurunsi (4.6%), and Senufo (4.5%). The legacy of the French colonial rule in Burkina Faso is visible in the country. For one thing, the official language in Burkina Faso is French. Different ethnic groups also speak their own indigenous languages. Muslims represent 61.5% of the population of Burkina Faso. Christians, both Catholics and Protestants, are also present in significant numbers. A large section of the population adheres to the traditional indigenous religions.
The Culture Of Burkina Faso
What Is The Dominant Religious Belief In Burkina Faso?
Islam is the religion of the majority in Burkina Faso. 61.1% of the country’s population adhere to this religion. 19.0% of the population practice Roman Catholicism. 11.3% practice indigenous African beliefs. Protestant Christianity is the religion of 5.5% of the population.
Religious Beliefs In Burkina Faso
What is the tallest mountain in Burkina Faso?
Mount Tena Kourou is the highest mountain in Burkina Faso standing at the height of 2,457 feet above sea level.
Tallest Mountains In Burkina Faso
What is W of the Niger National Park?
W National Park is an important national park in West Africa. The park is named so as it based around the ‘W’ shaped meander of the River Niger. The park is shared by three countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, and Niger. The W National Park was created on August 4, 1954, and was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.
The Four National Parks Of Burkina Faso
What is the Currency of Burkina Faso?
The official currency of Burkina Faso is the West African CFA franc.