|Land Area||1,220,190 km2|
|Water Area||20,002 km2|
|Total Area||1,240,192km2 (#23)|
|Government Type||Semi-presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$38.09 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$2,300|
View all cities in Mali
- Name: Mali
- Capital City: Bamako (1,809,106 pop.)
- Mali Population: 15,968,882 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: West African CFA franc
5000 West African Francs
- Ethnicity: Mande 50% (Bambara, Malinke, Soninke), Peul 17%, Voltaic 12%, Songhai 6%, Tuareg and Moor 10%, other 5%
- GDP total: $18.28 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $1,100 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: French (official), Bambara 80%, numerous African languages
- Largest Cities: (by population) Bamako, Sikasso, Mopti, Koutiala, Kayes Ndi, Segou
- Name: Mali is named after the ancient West African Kingdom, and translates to, "Hippopotamus," in Malinke and Bamana.
- National Day: September 22
- Religion: Muslim 90%, Christian 1%, indigenous beliefs 9%
What are the largest ethnic groups in Mali?
The Bambara are the largest ethnic group in the country making up about 36.5% of the total population in the country. Fulani makes up about 15% of the population and Sarakole 11%. Other ethnic groups include Senufo, Dogon, and Malinke.