|Land Area||769,632 km2|
|Water Area||13,930 km2|
|Total Area||783,562km2 (#36)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$1,700.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$21,100|
View all cities in Turkey
In The News
- Name: Turkey
(long form) Republic of Turkey
- Capital City: Ankara (4,431,719 pop.)
- Turkey Population: 80,694,485 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: new Turkish Lira (YTL)
- Ethnicity: Turkish 70-75%, Kurdish 18%, other minorities 7-12%
- GDP total: $783.1 (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $15,000 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Turkish (official), Kurdish, other
- Largest Cities: (by population) Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Bursa, Adana
- Name: The Turkish form of Turkey's name, Turkiye, translates to "land of the Turks," with the suffix -iye meaning "owner" or "land of"
- National Day: October 29
- Religion: Muslim 99.8% (mostly Sunni), other 0.2% (mostly Christians and Jews)
What are the Largest Ethnic Groups in Turkey?
Turks make up the largest ethnic group in Turkey, with a total share of 72.5% of the population. Kurds make up the second largest group, at 12.7%.
The Ethnic Groups Of Turkey
What type of economy does Turkey have?
Turkey is an important emerging economy with a positive growth rate. Turkey is the fastest growing economy in Europe.