|Land Area||769,632 km2|
|Water Area||13,930 km2|
|Total Area||783,562km2 (#36)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$1,700.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$21,100|
View all cities in Turkey
In The News
- Name: Turkey
(long form) Republic of Turkey
- Capital City: Ankara (4,431,719 pop.)
- Turkey Population: 80,694,485 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: new Turkish Lira (YTL)
- Ethnicity: Turkish 70-75%, Kurdish 18%, other minorities 7-12%
- GDP total: $783.1 (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $15,000 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Turkish (official), Kurdish, other
- Largest Cities: (by population) Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Bursa, Adana
- Name: The Turkish form of Turkey's name, Turkiye, translates to "land of the Turks," with the suffix -iye meaning "owner" or "land of"
- National Day: October 29
- Religion: Muslim 99.8% (mostly Sunni), other 0.2% (mostly Christians and Jews)
About the AuthorJohn Moen is a cartographer who along with his wife are the orignal founders of worldatlas.com. He and his wife, Chris Woolwine-Moen, produced thousands of award-winning maps that are used all over the world and content that aids students, teachers, travelers and parents with their geography and map questions. Today, it's one of the most popular educational sites on the web.
What are the Largest Ethnic Groups in Turkey?
Turks make up the largest ethnic group in Turkey, with a total share of 72.5% of the population. Kurds make up the second largest group, at 12.7%.
The Ethnic Groups Of Turkey
What type of economy does Turkey have?
Turkey is an important emerging economy with a positive growth rate. Turkey is the fastest growing economy in Europe.
The Economy Of Turkey
What are some of the most affordable places to study abroad in Europe?
Turkey, Poland, Estonia, Hungary, Portugal, and Austria are some of Europe's most affordable study destinations.