- Name: France
(long form) French Republic
- Capital City: Paris (2,193,031 pop.)
- France Population: 65,951,611 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Euro
- Ethnicity: Celtic and Latin with Teutonic, Slavic, North African, Indochinese, and Basque minorities
- GDP total: $2.253 trillion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $35,500 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: French (official) 100%, rapidly declining regional dialects and languages (Provencal, Breton, Alsatian, Corsican, Catalan, Basque, Flemish) overseas departments: French, Creole patois
- Largest Cities: (by population) Paris, Marseille, Lyon. Toulouse, Nice, Nantes, Strasbourg
- Name: The name France is from the Latin word 'Francia' meaning country of the Franks, a Germanic people who conquered the area during the 5th century.
- National Day: July 14
Note: "Fete de la Federation" is celebrated with a mixture of solemn military parades, dancing in the streets and fireworks. The storming of the Bastille on July 14, 1789 has been commemorated in France for more than a century.
- Religion: Roman Catholic 88%, Muslim 5%, Protestant 2%, unaffiliated 2%, Jewish 1%,
Street Cafes, Colmar, France
The small village of Itterswiller, Alsace Region, France
Trending on WorldAtlas
France metropolitan regions & their capitals
Countries of Europe
This page was last modified on April 7, 2017.