- Name: Turkmenistan
- Capital City: Ashgabat (909,000 pop.)
- Turkmenistan Population: 5,113,040 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Turkmen Manat (TMM)
- Ethnicity: Turkmen 85%, Uzbek 5%, Russian 4%, other 6%
- GDP total: $33.47 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $8,500 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Turkmen (official) 72%, Russian 12%, Uzbek 9%, other 7%
- Largest Cities: (by population) Ashqabat, Turkmenabat, Dashkovuz, Mary
- Name: In the Turkic language, turk refers to the ancient Turks of Asia. The word men means "I" or "me." Turkmen then means "I am a Turk." The Turkmen originally known as the Oghuz, came from what we now call Mongolia.
- National Day: October 27
- Religion: Muslim 89%, Eastern Orthodox 9%, unknown 2%
|Land Area||469,930 km2|
|Water Area||18,170 km2|
|Total Area||488,100km2 (#52)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic; Authoritarian|
|GDP (PPP)||$94.72 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$17,300|
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
The 10 Largest Cities in the World
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The Most Popular Sports in the World
Is the Moon a Planet or a Star?
Why Does Ice Float?
Which Country Has the Most Lakes?
Top 10 Cocoa Producing Countries