|Land Area||469,930 km2|
|Water Area||18,170 km2|
|Total Area||488,100km2 (#52)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic; Authoritarian|
|GDP (PPP)||$94.72 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$17,300|
View all cities in Turkmenistan
- Name: Turkmenistan
- Capital City: Ashgabat (909,000 pop.)
- Turkmenistan Population: 5,113,040 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Turkmen Manat (TMM)
- Ethnicity: Turkmen 85%, Uzbek 5%, Russian 4%, other 6%
- GDP total: $33.47 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $8,500 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Turkmen (official) 72%, Russian 12%, Uzbek 9%, other 7%
- Largest Cities: (by population) Ashqabat, Turkmenabat, Dashkovuz, Mary
- Name: In the Turkic language, turk refers to the ancient Turks of Asia. The word men means "I" or "me." Turkmen then means "I am a Turk." The Turkmen originally known as the Oghuz, came from what we now call Mongolia.
- National Day: October 27
- Religion: Muslim 89%, Eastern Orthodox 9%, unknown 2%
Which Languages are Spoken in Turkmenistan?
Turkmen is the official language of Turkmenistan.
What Languages Are Spoken In Turkmenistan?
What is the Tallest Mountain in Turkmenistan?
The tallest mountain in Turkmenistan is Mount Damavand, which stands at 18,410 feet. The volcanic mountain is in the middle of the Elburz Range.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites In Turkmenistan
What is the Door to Hell?
The Door to Hell refers to a surreal feature on the barren landscape of the Karakum Desert in Turkmenistan. The feature is a gaping crater on the surface of the land that was created by a mining miscalculation in a natural gas field.
The Darvaza Gas Crater: the Door to Hell
Where is the Karakum Desert?
The Karakum Desert is located in Turkmenistan, Central Asia. The desert covers an area of about 135,000 square miles which is about 70% of Turkmenistan's land area.
The Karakum Canal in Turkmenistan
Which Is The Most Popular Religion In Turkmenistan?
Islam is the religion of the majority in Turkmenistan. 89% of the country’s population adhere to this religion. Christianity is the next largest religion with 10% of the population affiliated to this religion.
Religion In Turkmenistan
What is the biggest city in Turkmenistan?
Ashgabat city is the largest city in Turkmenistan with a population of around 880,000 people.