- Name: Japan
- Capital City: Tokyo (13,185,502 pop.)
- Japan Population: 127,253,075 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Yen (JPY)
- Ethnicity: Japanese 98.5%, Koreans 0.5%, Chinese 0.4%, other 0.6%
Note: up to 230,000 Brazilians of Japanese origin migrated to Japan in the 1990s to work in industries; some have returned to Brazil
- GDP total: $4.525 trillion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $36,200 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Japanese
- Largest Cities: (by population) Tokyo, Yokohama-shi, Osaka-shi, Nagoya-shi, Sapporo-shi, Kobe-shi, Kyoto, Fukuoka-shi, Kawasaki, Saitama
- Name: The Japanese names for Japan, Nippon and Nihon, translate into "sun-origin" or the more often used, "Land of the rising sun."
- National Day: December 23
- Religion: Shintoism 83.9%, Buddhism 71.4%, Christianity 2%, other 7.8% note: total adherents exceeds 100% because many people belong to both Shintoism and Buddhism
|Land Area||364,485 km2|
|Water Area||13,430 km2|
|Total Area||377,915km2 (#61)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy|
|GDP (PPP)||$4,930.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$38,900|
In The News
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
Why Does Ice Float?
Is the Moon a Planet or a Star?
Countries That Start With The Letter N
Which Country Has the Most Lakes?
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The Most Popular Sports in the World