all u.s. currency (banknotes)
- North Carolina Quarter The North Carolina quarter, the 12th in the series and the second quarter to be released in the 2001 series, highlights the famous 1903 photograph of the "First Flight."
The North Carolina quarter commemorates the historic feat that took place on December 17, 1903, at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina with the first successful flight of a heavier-than-air, self-propelled flying machine. The craft, called the Flyer, traveled a distance of approximately 37 meters (120 feet) on its first flight and soared even further as one of the most significant human achievements in history. Additional details
- Land Sizes
- Language: English, others
- Largest Cities: (by population) Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville
- Name: Using the Latin name for Charles (Carolus), it was named for King Charles I of England
- Statehood: November 21, 1789 (12th state)