- Name: United Kingdom
(long form) United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Capital City: London (7,556,900 pop.)
(12,300,000 to 13,945,000 metro)
- United Kingdom Population: 63,395,574 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: United Kingdom (GBP)
- Ethnicity: White (of which English 83.6%, Scottish 8.6%, Welsh 4.9%, Northern Irish 2.9%) 92.1%, Black 2%, Indian 1.8%, Pakistani 1.3%, mixed 1.2%, other 1.6% (2001 census)
- GDP total: $2.323 trillion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $36,700 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: English
Note:The following are recognized regional languages:
Scots (about 30% of Scotland),
Scottish Gaelic (about 60,000 in Scotland),
Welsh (about 20% of Wales),
Irish (about 10% of Northern Ireland),
Cornish (some 2,000 to 3,000 in Cornwall)
- Largest Cities: (by population) London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds, Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh, Leicester
- Name: The name "United Kingdom" originally came from a union between the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland.
When the Kingdom of Ireland joined the union the long name was changed to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, to represent the union between the island of Great Britain and the island of Ireland.
Disputes within the Ireland over time eventually led to a division of the island. The United Kingdom's name was again changed, this time to The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- National Day: none
- Religion: Christian (Anglican, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist) 71.6%, Muslim 2.7%, Hindu 1%, other 1.6%, unspecified or none 23.1% (2001 census)
United Kingdom's Information
In The News
About United Kingdom
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
Why Does Ice Float?
Is the Moon a Planet or a Star?
Countries That Start With The Letter N
Which Country Has the Most Lakes?
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The Most Popular Sports in the World
United Kingdom countries, provinces & their capitals
|Northern Ireland||Belfast||Northern Ireland|