|Land Area||579,330 km2|
|Water Area||24,220 km2|
|Total Area||603,550km2 (#45)|
|Government Type||Semi-presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$353.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$8,200|
View all cities in Ukraine
- Name: Ukraine
- Capital City: Kyiv (Kiev) (2,797,553 pop.)
- Ukraine Population: 44,573,205 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Hryvnia
- Ethnicity: Ukrainian 77.8%, Russian 17.3%, Belarusian 0.6%, Moldovan 0.5%, Crimean Tatar 0.5%, Bulgarian 0.4%, Hungarian 0.3%, Romanian 0.3%, Polish 0.3%, Jewish 0.2%, other 1.8%
- GDP total: $335.4 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $7,600 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Ukrainian (official) 67%, Russian 24%, other 9% (includes small Romanian-, Polish-, and Hungarian-speaking minorities)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Kyyiv, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, Donetsk, Odesa, Zaporizhzhya, L'viv, Kryvyy, Mykolayiv, Mariupol, Luhansk
- Name: The origin of Ukraine's name can be traced back to ancient times, and simply means 'land.'
- National Day: August 24
- Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox - Kyiv Patriarchate 50.4%, Ukrainian Orthodox - Moscow Patriarchate 26.1%, Ukrainian Greek Catholic 8%, Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox 7.2%, Roman Catholic 2.2%, Protestant 2.2%, Jewish 0.6%, other 3.2%
What is the Largest Ethnic Group in Ukraine?
Ethnic Ukrainians make up almost four-fifths of the population, followed by significant minorities from neighboring countries including Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus.
Major Ethnic Groups Of Ukraine
What was the Holodomor?
The Holodomor was an act of genocide against the Ukrainian peasantry that was carried out by Stalin and the Soviet Union from 1932-33.
What Was The Holodomor?
Does Anything Live in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone?
Some of the animals that still live around the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone include wolves, elks, bears, and lynxes.