|Land Area||437,367 km2|
|Water Area||950 km2|
|Total Area||438,317km2 (#58)|
|Government Type||Federal Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$597.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$16,500|
View all cities in Iraq
- Name: Iraq
(long form) Republic of Iraq
- Capital City: Baghdad (7,216,040 pop.)
- Iraq Population: 31,858,481 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Iraqi dinar
- Ethnicity: Arab 75%-80%, Kurdish 15%-20%, Turkoman, Assyrian, or other 5%
- GDP total: $155.4 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $4,600 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Arabic (official), Kurdish (official in Kurdish regions), Turkoman (a Turkish dialect), Assyrian (Neo-Aramaic), Armenian
- Largest Cities: (by population) Baghdad, Mosul, Irbil, Basrah, Suleymaniye, Kirkuk
- Name: Arabic for, "the fertile" or "deep-rooted land"
- National Day: July 14, Republic Day
note: Iraq has yet to declare an official national holiday but still observes Republic Day
- Religion: Muslim 97% (Shia 60%-65%, Sunni 32%-37%), Christian or other 3%
Note: while there has been voluntary relocation of many Christian families to northern Iraq, recent reporting indicates that the overall Christian population may have dropped by as much as 50 percent since the fall of the Saddam Hussein regime in 2003, with many fleeing to Syria, Jordan and Lebanon
This page was last updated on April 7, 2017.
What is the Largest Ethnic Group in Iraq?
Arabs comprise the majority of Iraq's demography, while Kurds are the largest minority.