- Name: Benin
(long form) Republic of Benin
- Capital City: Porto-Novo (223,552 pop.)
- Benin Population: 9,877,292 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: West African CFA franc
5000 West African CFA francs
- Ethnicity: Fon and related 39.2%, Adja and related 15.2%, Yoruba and related 12.3%, Bariba and related 9.2%, Peulh and related 7%, Ottamari and related 6.1%, Yoa-Lokpa and related 4%, Dendi and related 2.5%, other 1.6% (includes Europeans), unspecified 2.9%
- GDP total: $15.51 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $1,700 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: French (official), Fon and Yoruba (most common vernaculars in south), tribal languages (at least six major ones in north)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Cotonou, Abomey-Calavi, Porto-Novo, Djougou, Parakou
- Name: Named for the body of water on which the country lies, the Blight of Benin.
- National Day: August 1
- Religion: Christian 42.8% (Catholic 27.1%, Celestial 5%, Methodist 3.2%, other Protestant 2.2%, other 5.3%), Muslim 24.4%, Vodoun 17.3%, other 15.5%
|Land Area||110,622 km2|
|Water Area||2,000 km2|
|Total Area||112,622km2 (#100)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$24.31 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$2,200|
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
What are Roman Numerals?
What Are The Differences Between A Lake And A Pond?
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
The Most Popular Sports in the World
Are Kangaroos Only Found In Australia?
29 Largest Armies In The World