1. Home
  2. Africa
  3. Rwanda

Maps of Rwanda

Physical Map of Rwanda with state boundaries. It shows the physical features of Rwanda including terrain, major rivers, mountains, lakes, cities, and protected areas. worldatlas.com worldatlas.com uganda tanzania burundi large Rwanda map democractic republic of the congo

The landlocked country of Rwanda in the African Great Lakes region of Central/Eastern Africa covers an area of 26,338 sq. km. 

Mountains dominate the landscape of western Rwanda. They are part of the Albertine Rift Mountains. The Virunga Mountains to the northwest of the country host the highest peak of Rwanda, Mount Karisimbi (marked on the physical map above) which is 4,507 m tall. 

Central Rwanda features rolling hills giving way to savanna, plains, and swamps eastwards. 

As observed on the map, Rwanda is also dotted by numerous lakes. Lake Kivu, located on the western border of the country with DRC, is the largest among them. It is one of the 20 deepest lakes in the world and has a maximum depth of 480 m.

Other notable lakes include Burera, Cohana, Ruhondo, Muhazi, Rweru, and Ihema.

80% of Rwanda drains into the Nile through Lake Victoria while the remaining 20% drains into the Congo via the Rusizi River which also has the lowest elevation of Rwanda at 950 m. Rising in the southwest is the longest river of Rwanda - Nyabarongo. The river merges with the Ruvubu in the southeast, forming the Kagera River which ultimately enters Lake Victoria after crossing into Tanzania.

Provinces Map of Rwanda

Political Map of Rwanda displaying its five provinces, their capital cities, and the national capital of Kigali City.

Rwanda is divided into five provinces. These are Kigali, Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western. These provinces were formed in 2006. Before this, the country had 12 provinces.

The provinces are further divided into 30 districts. 

With an area of 9,458 sq. km, the Eastern Province is the largest by area as well as the most populous one. The capital and largest city of Rwanda, Kigali City, is located in the Kigali Province.

Where is Rwanda?

Map showing location of Rwanda in the world. Europe Middle East Africa Somalia Atlantic Ocean Atlantic Ocean Mediterranean Sea Arabian Sea Indian Ocean Tropic of Capricorn Equator Prime Meridian worldatlas.com worldatlas.com Tropic of Cancer

The Central/Eastern African country of Rwanda is a landlocked nation that lie in the Southern (located a few degrees south of the Equator) and Eastern Hemispheres of the Earth. It is part of the Great Rift Valley region of Africa. Four African countries border Rwanda. These are Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the north, east, south, and west respectively.

Rwanda Bordering Countries: Burundi, Uganda, Tanzania, The Democratic Republic Of The Congo.

Regional Maps: Map of Africa

Outline Map of Rwanda

Blank Outline Map of Rwanda

The blank outline map represents the landlocked African country of Rwanda. This map can be downloaded for free and used for educational purpose or for coloring.

Outline Map of Rwanda

The outline map represents the Central/Eastern African country of Rwanda. 

Key Facts

Legal Name Republic of Rwanda
Capital City Kigali
1 57 S, 30 03 E
Independence 1 July 1962 (from Belgium-administered UN trusteeship)

Geography

Total Area 26,338.00 km2
Land Area 24,668.00 km2
Water Area 1,670.00 km2
Total Border 930.0 km
Coastline 0.0 km
Bordering Countries Burundi 315 km, Democratic Republic of the Congo 221 km, Tanzania 222 km, Uganda 172 km
Climate Temperate; two rainy seasons (february to april, november to january); mild in mountains with frost and snow possible
Coordinates 2 00 S, 30 00 E
Mean Elevation 1,598 m
Lowest Elevation 950 m
Rusizi River
Highest Elevation 4,519 m
Volcan Karisimbi

Demographics

Population 12,626,950
Largest City

Kigali (1,132,101)

Ethnic Groups Hutu, Tutsi, Twa (Pygmy)
Languages Kinyarwanda (official, universal Bantu vernacular) 93.2%, French (official) <.1, English (official) <.1, Swahili/Kiswahili (official, used in commercial centers) <.1, more than one language, other 6.3%, unspecified 0.3% (2002 est.)
Religions Protestant 49.5% (includes Adventist 11.8% and other Protestant 37.7%), Roman Catholic 43.7%, Muslim 2%, other 0.9% (includes Jehovah's Witness), none 2.5%, unspecified 1.3% (2012 est.)

Economy

Currency Rwandan francs (RWF)
GDP $10.12 Billion
GDP Per Capita $801.66
Exports Coffee, tea, hides, tin ore

This page was last updated on November 9, 2020

Latest by WorldAtlas