Feature

10 Countries With The Most Instagram Users

Instagram is one of the largest social platforms in the world.

Table of Contents

Instagram is one of the largest social platforms in the world. The platform allows users to upload and edit photos and short videos through a free mobile app. Users can also add captions to their posts, use geotags, and hashtags. With the launch of new features that include IGTV, live, stories, and galleries, the platform has proved that it can keep its user base engaged and growing. Instagram currently has over a billion active users worldwide, 64% of whom are aged 18 to 29 years.

The United States

The United States has the highest number of Instagram users in the world. In 2018, there were about 105 million users of Instagram in the US, and it was projected to grow to about 131 million in 2022. As of October 2019, 116 million people were using the platform in the country. The demographic data on the user base indicated that Instagram use was more prevalent in higher income brackets. The trend is probably expected since the platform is often associated with sharing images and videos of a glamorous lifestyle. Further analysis of Instagram’s user base reveals that educated Americans, as well as those living in cities, are more likely to use Instagram. Women (accounting for 56.9% of all users) are relatively keener on using the platform compared to men who only account for 43.1% of the entire user base. About 63% of Instagram users in the country visit the app at least once a day.

India

In October 2019, India had a total of 73 million Instagram users, making it the second-largest market for the platform. The number of users represented slightly over 5% of the nation’s entire population. The platform’s user base is overwhelmingly dominated by men who constitute about 72.7% of the total users. A demographic analysis of the country’s user base reveals that persons aged 18 to 24 is about 37.3 million, making them the largest user group. The most significant gap between women and men is also seen in the 18 to 24 years age group, where the number of men is 18.7 million.

Brazil

Brazil has 72 million Instagram users and is the third-largest market for Instagram in the world. The number of Instagram users in the country makes up 34% of the nation’s entire population. Women account for the majority of users at 59.5% compared to men who represent the remaining 40.5%. Persons between the ages of 25 and 34 years make up the largest group with 23 million users.

Indonesia

Indonesia is Instagram’s biggest market in Asia, with 60 million users as of October 2019. The platform is quite vibrant and includes several interconnected communities, including Instameet Jakarta. Instagram is used by roughly 22.8% of the nation’s population. The number of male users is slightly higher than women at 50.1% and 49.9%, respectively. A further demographic break-down of data reveals that people between the ages of 18 and 24 make up the largest user group with a total of 24 million users.

Russia

The Russian Federation had a total of 42, 159,000 Instagram users as of October 2019. People aged 25 to 34 accounted for 42.2% of the total users, making them the largest user group. Individuals aged 35 to 44 formed the second largest age group at 27.3%, followed by the age group of 18-24 years, who accounted for 18.5% of the total users. Age groups with the lowest number of users were 45 to 54 years of age and 13 to 17 years of age, who accounted for 6.6% and 3.2%, respectively. Women represent the majority of the users at 57.5%, while men make up 42.5% of the total users. Information on other minority groups is unavailable.

Turkey

Turkey had 37, 220,000 users in October 2019, making it the country with the highest of Instagram in the Mediterranean region. Male users represent 57.5% of the total users, while women account for the remaining 42.5% of the user base. People aged 25 to 34 years account for 36.5% of the entire user base and are the largest user group. Those aged 18 to 24 years come second at 22.8%, followed by the 35 to 44 years age group with 21% of the entire user group. Age groups with the lowest proportion of users include 45 to 54 years, 55 to 64 years, and 13 to 17 years, with 10.2%, 4.3%, and 3.3%, respectively.

Japan

As of October 2019, Japan had 27,686,000 Instagram users, which accounted for 21.9% of the nation’s entire population. A look at gender-related data revealed that women were the majority on the platform representing 58.1% of the user group. Age groups with the largest proportion of users include 25 to 34 years, 18 to 24 years, and 35 to 44 years, with 37.6%, 22.8%, and 21.3%, respectively. People aged 55 to 64 years and 13 to 17 years have the lowest number of users with 3.4% and 2.7%, respectively.

The United Kingdom

In the UK, there were 23 million Instagram users as of October 2019, which represented about 34.4% of the country’s entire population. Demographic analysis of the data reveals that people aged 25 to 34 years are the majority accounting for 32.4% of the total users. Persons aged 18 to 24 years and 35 to 44 years follow in second and third place with 24.6% and 17.3% respectively. Age groups with the lowest proportion of users include 45 to 54 years, 13 to 17 years, and 55 to 54 years, with 10.4%, 8.5%, and 4.6%, respectively. The majority of Instagram users are women accounting for 56.2% of the entire user base as of October 2019.

Mexico

Mexico had 23,280,000 Instagram users as of October 2019, making it the second-largest market for Instagram in Central and South America. The number of Instagram users accounted for 17.4% of the nation’s population. People aged 18 to 24 years, 25 to 34 years, and 35 to 44 years had the most significant proportion of users with 39.1%, 33.1%, and 12.9%, respectively. Age groups with the lowest percentage of users were 13 to 17 years, 45 to 54 years, and 55 to 64 years with 7%, 5.1%, and 1.7%, respectively. Women form the majority of Instagram users in the country at 54.3%.

Germany

Germany is Instagram’s 10th largest market in the world. The country had 20.4 million users as of October 2019, which accounted for 24.7% of its entire population. Age groups with the largest proportion of users were 25 to 34 year age group and 18 to 24 year age group with 34.8% and 27.4% respectively.

Instagram To Hide Likes From Users

Instagram recently announced it would begin hiding “likes” of posts of several users in the United States after trying out the concept in several countries including, Australia, Italy, and Ireland. According to the company, the measure is aimed at preventing user experience from “feeling like a competition”. The move is expected to create a less pressurized environment where users can feel free to express themselves. Several influencers are, however, worried that the change could result in the loss of followers and income. Artists on the platform argue that the “likes” are essential since they provide an excellent metric to measure whether one’s art and content is of high quality.

10 Countries With Most Instagram Users

RankCountryAudience in millions
1United States116
2India73
3Brazil72
4Indonesia60
5Russia42
6Turkey37
7Japan27
8United Kingdom22.9
9Mexico22
10Germany19.9

About the Author

  • Benjamin Elisha Sawe
  • Writer

Benjamin Elisha Sawe holds a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Statistics and an MBA in Strategic Management. He is a frequent World Atlas contributor. 

More in Feature