- Name: Greece
(long form) Hellenic Republic
- Capital City: Athens (3,130,841 pop.)
- Greece Population: 10,772,967 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Euro
- Ethnicity: Greek 93%, other 7% (2001 census)
- GDP total: $280.8 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $25,100 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Greek 99% (official), other 1% (includes English and French)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Athens, Thessaloniki, Patrai, Iraklion, Larissa
- Name: The name is derived from Graikhos, meaning "inhabitant of Graia,".
It was the name given by the Romans for the Greek colonists who helped
found Cumae, the city in southern Italy where the Romans first
encountered the Greeks.
- National Day: October 28th, Ochi Day
Notes: Ochi Day celebrates the anniversary of General Ioannis Metaxas'
denial to the Italians' request for free passage to invade Greece
during World War II. Greece not only refused the Italians' free passage,
they seized the offensive and drove them back into Albania.
- Religion: Greek Orthodox 98%, Muslim 1.3%, other 0.7%