|Land Area||130,647 km2|
|Water Area||1,310 km2|
|Total Area||131,957km2 (#95)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$291.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$26,800|
View all cities in Greece
- Name: Greece
(long form) Hellenic Republic
- Capital City: Athens (3,130,841 pop.)
- Greece Population: 10,772,967 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Euro
- Ethnicity: Greek 93%, other 7% (2001 census)
- GDP total: $280.8 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $25,100 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Greek 99% (official), other 1% (includes English and French)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Athens, Thessaloniki, Patrai, Iraklion, Larissa
- Name: The name is derived from Graikhos, meaning "inhabitant of Graia,". It was the name given by the Romans for the Greek colonists who helped found Cumae, the city in southern Italy where the Romans first encountered the Greeks.
- National Day: October 28th, Ochi Day
Notes: Ochi Day celebrates the anniversary of General Ioannis Metaxas' denial to the Italians' request for free passage to invade Greece during World War II. Greece not only refused the Italians' free passage, they seized the offensive and drove them back into Albania.
- Religion: Greek Orthodox 98%, Muslim 1.3%, other 0.7%
What Is a Pentathlon?
Pentathlon is a word of Greek origin formed by combining two words, pente (five) and athlon (competition). The Pentathlon is a competition with five different sporting events. Pentathlon events can be traced to Ancient Greek Olympic Games in Olympia city-state where it included the long jump, javelin throw, discus throw, stadion (a series of short races), and a wrestling match as the main event.
10 Sports That Came From Ancient Greece
What Language is Spoken in Greece?
Greek, the official language of Greece, is used by the majority of the country's population. English is the most widely spoken foreign language.
What Languages are Spoken in Greece?
What are the religious beliefs in Greece?
92% of the population in Greece practice Eastern Orthodox Christianity, 3% practice Irreligion, 3% practice Islam, and 2% have other beliefs.
Religious Beliefs In Greece
What Kind of Government Does Greece Have?
Greece is a parliamentary republic and the President, the Head of State of Greece, is elected by the Parliament every five years.
What Type Of Government Does Greece Have?
What is the Biggest City in Greece?
Athens, the capital city of Greece, is also the largest city in the country. It has a population of 3.7 million people.
The Biggest Cities In Greece
What are the minority ethnic groups in Greece?
Albanians are the largest ethnic minority in Greece. Other minority groups include Roma (Romani), Aromanians, Macedonians, and Arvanites.