|Land Area||130,647 km2|
|Water Area||1,310 km2|
|Total Area||131,957km2 (#95)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$291.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$26,800|
View all cities in Greece
- Name: Greece
(long form) Hellenic Republic
- Capital City: Athens (3,130,841 pop.)
- Greece Population: 10,772,967 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Euro
- Ethnicity: Greek 93%, other 7% (2001 census)
- GDP total: $280.8 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $25,100 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Greek 99% (official), other 1% (includes English and French)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Athens, Thessaloniki, Patrai, Iraklion, Larissa
- Name: The name is derived from Graikhos, meaning "inhabitant of Graia,". It was the name given by the Romans for the Greek colonists who helped found Cumae, the city in southern Italy where the Romans first encountered the Greeks.
- National Day: October 28th, Ochi Day
Notes: Ochi Day celebrates the anniversary of General Ioannis Metaxas' denial to the Italians' request for free passage to invade Greece during World War II. Greece not only refused the Italians' free passage, they seized the offensive and drove them back into Albania.
- Religion: Greek Orthodox 98%, Muslim 1.3%, other 0.7%
This page was last updated on April 7, 2017.