- Name: Sierra Leone
(long form) Republic of Sierra Leone
- Capital City: Freetown (1,200,000 pop.)
- Sierra Leone Population: 5,612,685 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Sierra Leonean leone (SLL)
- Ethnicity: Temne 35%, Mende 31%, Limba 8%, Kono 5%, Kriole 2% (descendants of freed Jamaican slaves who were settled in the Freetown area in the late-18th century; also known as Krio), Mandingo 2%, Loko 2%, other 15% (includes refugees from Liberia's recent civil war, and small numbers of Europeans, Lebanese, Pakistanis, and Indians)
- GDP total: $8.412 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $1,400 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: English (official, regular use limited to literate minority), Mende (principal vernacular in the south), Temne (principal vernacular in the north), Krio (English-based Creole, spoken by the descendants of freed Jamaican slaves who were settled in the Freetown area, a lingua franca and a first language for 10% of the population but understood by 95%)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Freetown, Bo, Kenema, Makeni, Koidu
- Name: Meaning Lion Mountains, the country was named after Portuguese explorer Pedro de Sintra saw the mountains while sailing the west African coast in 1462, although it is unclear as to why the mountains appeared to look like lions.
- National Day: April 27
- Religion: Muslim 60%, Christian 10%, indigenous beliefs 30%
Sierra Leone's Information
|Land Area||71,620 km2|
|Water Area||120 km2|
|Total Area||71,740km2 (#117)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$10.64 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$1,700|
|More Information||Sierra Leone|
About Sierra Leone
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
Why Does Ice Float?
Is the Moon a Planet or a Star?
Countries That Start With The Letter N
Which Country Has the Most Lakes?
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The Most Popular Sports in the World