|Land Area||823,290 km2|
|Water Area||1,002 km2|
|Total Area||824,292km2 (#33)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$25.99 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$11,800|
View all cities in Namibia
- Name: Namibia
- (long form) Republic of Namibia
- Capital City: Windhoek (322,500 pop.)
- Namibia Population: 2,182,852 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Namibian dollar
10 Namibian dollars
- Ethnicity: black 87.5%, white 6%, mixed 6.5%
note: about 50% of the population belongs to the Ovambo tribe and 9% to the Kavangos tribe; other ethnic groups include Herero 7%, Damara 7%, Nama 5%, Caprivian 4%, Bushmen 3%, Baster 2% and Tswana 0.5%
- GDP total: $17.03 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $7,900 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: English 7% (official), Afrikaans common language of most of the population and about 60% of the white population, German 32%, indigenous languages 1% (includes Oshivambo, Herero, Nama)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Windhoek, Rundu, Walvis Bay, Oshakati, Swakopmund
- Name: In the Nama langauage, Namib means, "Area where there is nothing."
- National Day: March 21
- Religion: Christian 80% to 90% (Lutheran 50% at least), indigenous beliefs 10% to 20%
This page was last updated on April 7, 2017.
What is the Biggest Ethnic Group in Namibia?
The Ovambo tribe constitutes around half of the Namibian population, making it by far the largest in the country.