- Capital City: Honolulu (pop.) 377,357 (2008 est.)
- Hawaii Population: 1,392,313 (2012 est.) (40th)
- Hawaii Population: (per square mile)
- U.S. State Populations: (all states)
- Currency: U.S. Dollar (conversion rates)
all u.s. currency (banknotes)
- Hawaii Quarter: The fifth and final commemorative
quarter coin released in 2008 honors Hawaii, and is the 50th and last
coin in the United States Mint's 50 State Quarters® Program.
Hawaii was admitted into the Union on August 21, 1959, becoming our Nation's 50th State. Hawaii's quarter features the Hawaiian monarch, King Kamehameha I, stretching his hand toward the eight major Hawaiian Islands. The inscriptions include: "UA MAU KE EA O KA'AINA I KA PONO" ("The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness"), "Hawaii" and "1959".
King Kamehameha I unified the governance of the Hawaiian Islands into one kingdom in the early 1800's, navigated changes in the state while maintaining the native practices and the islands' traditions. He is a revered figure in the history of Hawaii.
- Land Sizes
- Language: English, others
- Largest Cities: (by population) Honolulu, Hilo, Kailua, Kaneohe, Waipahu, Pearl City
- Name: There are couple of theories regarding the origin of the name Hawaii. The first is the name came from a combination of the words "Hawa" and "ii" and means a small or new homeland; "Hawa" is defined as a traditional homeland and "ii" means small and raging. The other theory is that the name came from the traditional discoverer of the islands, Hawaii Loa.
- Statehood: August 21, 1959 (50th state)
Hawaii Cities, Counties & Area Codes
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Largest Countries in the World
The Richest Countries In The World
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
29 Largest Armies In The World
10 Most Visited Countries In The World
Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The 25 Safest Countries In The World
30 Least Populated Countries In The World
29 Most Obese Countries In The World