|Land Area||1,943,945 km2|
|Water Area||20,430 km2|
|Total Area||1,964,375km2 (#13)|
|Government Type||Federal Presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$2,310.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$18,900|
View all cities in Mexico
- (1517) Spanish explorer, Francisco Hernandez de Cordoba, arrived in Yucatan from Cuba; native Mayas clashed with explorers, killed over 20, including Cordoba; captured several
- (1519) Spanish governor sent Hernan Cortes to Mexico; took control of town of Tabasco, founded city of Verazruz; Cortes began inward march into Mexico; Cortes took Moctezuma hostage, gained control of Tenochtitlan; Mexico became known as "New Spain"
- (1521) After series of conflicts, Cortes defeated Aztecs, built Mexico City
- (1550 - 1590) Chichimeca War - conflict between Spanish colonizers and allies against Chichimeca Indians; longest, most expensive conflict between Spanish and indigenous peoples
- (1810) Father Miguel Hidalgo issued call for Mexico's independence
- (1811) Father Hidalgo captured, killed at Chihuahua
- (1821) Mexican leaders made plans to separate from Spain; Treaty of Cordoba signed marking official beginning of independence
- (1823) Guadalupe Victoria became first elected president of Mexico
- (1829) Spain attempted to recapture Mexico
- (1833) Santa Anna became president after leading successful resistance against Spain
- (1836) Texas declared independence from Mexico; Santa Anna defeated by Sam Houston at Battle of San Jacinto
- (1846) USA declared war on Mexico
- (1848) Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ended war between Mexico and USA; Texas, California, New Mexico ceded to US; US paid $15 million for the land
What Languages Are Spoken in Mexico?
A large number of languages are spoken in the ethnically diverse country of Mexico, with Spanish being the most popular one.
What Languages Are Spoken In Mexico?
What Kind of Government Does Mexico Have?
Mexico is a federal presidential representative democratic republic where the president is the head of state and the head of government.
What Type Of Government Does Mexico Have?
What is the Most Popular Religion in Mexico?
Roman Catholicism is the most popular religion in Mexico, accounting for more than 90% of the population. Other types of Christianity make up around 6.6% of the country's total population.
Religious Beliefs In Mexico
What is the Richest State in Mexico?
The state of Nuevo León has a gross domestic product per capita (PPP) of $27,000, making it the richest state in Mexico.
The 10 Richest States In Mexico
What is the Biggest City in Mexico?
Mexico City is the capital of Mexico and by far the most populated city in the country. It has around 8.5 million residents.
The Biggest Cities In Mexico
What is the Largest Ethnic Group in Mexico?
Mexican Mestizo is the largest ethnic group in Mexico, accounting for around 62% of the national population. Mestizo Mexicans are people of blended descent. Their origin is principally the intermarriage between the indigenous people of Mexico and Europeans, furthermore, to a lesser degree, Africans and Asians. Mestizo culture is diverse, and incorporates some cultural elements of African, Asian, Mexican and European culture.