The Prime Minister of Belgium is the topmost political figure in the country and the head of government. The residence of the Prime Minister is located at the Number 1 Lambermont Street.
Until 1918, the Council of Ministers was appointed by the King of Belgium, but after the First World War the crown influence declined as the position of the Prime Minister became more important. The Prime Minister is responsible for coordinating government policies as well as representing the country abroad and keeping the crown informed on the current issues concerning the state. When the Prime Minister resigns, the entire government also resigns unless he steps down on personal issues. The King of Belgium then appoints a new Prime Minister after deliberation with the Senate and the Chamber of Representatives as well as major political parties. The Prime Minister has no term limits and can serve continuously as long as he has the confidence of the Monarch and the support of the two chambers of the legislature.
Number 1 Lambermont Street
The Number 1 Lambermont Street is a neoclassical palace that was constructed in 1778 and was first used as an official residence in 1945. It is commonly known as “Lambermont” because it is located at the corner of a street with the same name. The building is part of a chain of ancient houses built along Parc de Bruxelles between 1778 and 1779. It was privately owned until the government bought it in 1860. The building is not a unique structure as it resembles most of the buildings in the street built during the period, apart from the two carved lions on the entrance gate of the south wing of the building.
16, Rue De La Loi
16, Rue de la Loi is a neoclassic building along Rue de la Loi Street in the capital city Brussels. It serves as the administrative office of the government. The building was constructed between 1872 and 1874, but the Federal Government acquired it in 1944. Between 1815 and 1830 the palace was used by the Kingdom of the Netherlands to house the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After the creation of the office of the Prime Minister, 18 Rue de la Loi became the designated office but in 1944 Prime Minister Hubert Pierlot deemed the office too small and consequently moved to the adjacent building. On January 2011, a group of political activists exasperated by the political crisis of 2010 to 2011, camped outside the building demanding the formation of a new government.