New York City has the most expansive subway system in North America. These subway stations were first opened in 1904 and have evolved over time. The takeover of the station operations from Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT), Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation (BMT), and the Independent Subway System (IND) by New York City Transit Authority in 1940s, and over the years some stations are either permanently or partially closed.
7. South Ferry
South Ferry is a loop station which was first opened in 1905 by IRT. The outer loop was the first to be operational in 1905 and 1918 the inner loop became operational as well. The South Ferry consists of the Old South Ferry which was replaced in 2009 by the New South Ferry which had more operational capacity. The New South Ferry was destroyed in 2012 by Hurricane Sandy and was subsequently closed. The outer loop was not severely destroyed and hence was renovated and reopened in 2013. The inner loop was closed for renovation which will be completed in summer of 2017.
6. Sedgwick Avenue
Sedgwick Avenue was a train station on the Bronx extension of IRT Ninth Avenue Line that was opened in 1918. It connected New York and Puntam Railroad passenger trains. The station consisted of elevated, ground level, and underground platforms and was operated by Polo Grounds shuttle until 1958. By 2010, the station was already in ruins after it stopped operations.
5. Court Street
The Court street station is a complex of three stations namely the IRT Flushing Line, the IND Queens Boulevard Line, and the IND Crosstown Line. The Court Street station is located in Long Island City, Queens. The reconstruction of connecting passageways in 2011 between individual subway lines led to the collapse of the main station.
4. East 18th Street
East 18th Street is an abandoned local station on Lexington Avenue Line. It was opened in 1904 and was located at Park Avenue South and 18th Street. The station was closed in 1948 because of platform lengthening at 23rd Street and the opening of entrance at 22nd Street. The East 18th Street is no longer accessible but its graffiti walls can be seen through the window.
3. Worth Street
Worth Street was a local station located between Lafayette Street and Worth Street that was operated by IRT. The station was opened on October 27, 1904, as one of the first 28 subway stations of New York City. Worth street initially accommodated five train cars, but in 1948, it was expanded to ten train cars to ease the increasing traffic in New York City. On January 3, 1957, the station was officially shut down by the New York City Transit Authority.
2. Myrtle Avenue
Myrtle Avenue is an abandoned station that was opened on June 22, 1915. The station was located on the Manhattan Bridge subway tracks and consisted of Brooklyn-bound platform and Manhattan-bound platform. The station was closed in 1956 for reconstruction of the flying junction north of DeKalb Avenue but only the Manhattan-bound platform became operational after that. The Brooklyn-bound platform was completely removed.
1. City Hall Station
The City Hall Street was opened on October 27, 1904, as the original southern terminal station of the first line of New York City. It was located underneath a public area in front of the City Hall. The passenger services were terminated on December 31, 1945 due to its small capacity and its proximity to Brooklyn Bridge Station.