The current flag design of Paraguay has been in use since 1842. The flag features a different design on its obverse (front) and reverse (back) sides, which makes it unique among country flags. Paraguay’s coat of arms is featured on the front of the flag, while the treasury is featured on the back. The background of the flag features three horizontal stripes of red, white, and blue. The arrangement of these colors is said to have been inspired by France’s Tricolore. These colors represent liberty.
Obverse and Reverse Sides
The obverse side of the flag of Paraguay features the country’s coat of arms. Prior to 2013, a red ribbon was featured in the coat of arms. However, in 2013, the flag was simplified in its attempt to be as true to the flag’s original design as possible. Inside the coat of arms, there is a yellow star and two green olive branches. The coat of arms also features the words “Republica del Paraguay”.
The Reverse of the Coat of Arms features a lion, in front of a staff and liberty cap, with the inscription "Paz Y Justicia", which means "peace and justice". The reverse of the seal is used by the Supreme Court of Paraguay, and is featured alongside the obverse on banknotes of the national currency, the Guaraní and the reverse side of the flag.
Historical Versions of the Flag of Paraguay
Throughout its history, Paraguay has used a number of different flags. The first flag used by the country was adopted in 1811. It was a blue background with a single white star in the top left corner. Then, a flag with horizontal stripes of green, white, and blue was adopted. One year later in 1812, the flag’s stripes were changed to red, yellow, and blue. In 1812, Paraguay adopted its current pattern of red, white, and blue. The coat of arms was added in its first form in 1842. From 1990 onward, Paraguay used a flag that very closely resembles the flag used today. The only differences were the ratio (it was 3:5 while today it is 1:2) and the coat of arms, which has today been simplified.