- Name: Brazil
(long form) Federative Republic of Brazil
- Capital City: Brasilia (2,606,885 pop.)
- Brazil Population: 201,009,622 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Brazil Real (BRL)
One Hundred Brazil Reais
- Ethnicity: White 53.7%, Mulatto (mixed white and black) 38.5%, Black 6.2%, other 0.9%, unspecified 0.7%
- GDP total: $2.394 trillion (2012 est)
- GDP per capita: $12,100 (2012 est)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Portuguese (official), and most widely spoken language. Less common languages include Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, English, and a large number of minor Amerindian languages.
- Largest Cities: (by population) Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Fortaleza, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Curitiba, Manaus, Recife, Belem.
- Name: The name Brazil comes from the Brazilwood tree which grows in Brazil. In Portuguese, this tree is call "pau-brasil" which means "red like an ember".
- National Day: September 7
- Religion: Roman Catholic (nominal) 73.6%, Protestant 15.4%, Spiritualist 1.3%, Bantu/voodoo 0.3%, other 1.8%, unspecified 0.2%, none 7.4%
Trending on WorldAtlas
Countries Of South America
This page was last modified on April 7, 2017.