- Name: Falkland Islands
(long form) Note that the islands are a self-governing territory of the United Kingdom (UK), and referred to as the Falkland Islands throughout the UK. Spanish speaking countries of South America refer to them as (Islas Malvinas)
- Capital City: Stanley (2,115 pop.)
- Falkland Islands Population: 3,140 (2010 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Falkland Islands Pound (FKP)
One Falkland Islands Pound
- Ethnicity: Native born Falkland Islanders 65%, English 31%, Spaniards 3%, and Japanese 1%.
- GDP total: $164.5 million (2010 est)
- GDP per capita: $55,400 (2010 est)
- Land Sizes
- Language: English
- Largest Cities: Stanley, Goose Green Settlement, Port Howard(by population)
- Name: The name of the Falkland Islands comes from Falkland Sound, which is the channel between the two main islands. The sound was named after a Scotish nobleman, Andrew Cary, who was the 5th Viscount Falkland. The Viscounts of Falkland get their name from the Scottish monarchy's residence, Falkland Palace.
- National Day: June 14
- Religion: Christianity
Falkland Islands's Information
|Land Area||12,173 km2|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Democracy (Legislative Assembly); Self-governing Overseas Territory Of The UK|
|More Information||Falkland Islands|
Falkland Islands Photographs
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
Why Does Ice Float?
Is the Moon a Planet or a Star?
Countries That Start With The Letter N
Which Country Has the Most Lakes?
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The Most Popular Sports in the World