Lake Okeechobee, Florida, USA
Lake Okeechobee is the largest freshwater lake in the State of Florida. It is the seventh largest freshwater lake in the United States and the second largest freshwater lake (the largest being Lake Michigan) contained entirely within the lower 48 states.
Okeechobee covers 1,900 square kilometres (730 sq mi), approximately half the size of the state of Rhode Island and is exceptionally shallow for a lake of its size, with an average depth of only 3 metres (9 feet).
- Max Length: 35.7 mi (57.5 km)
- Max Width: 29.0 mi (46.6 km)
- Surface Area: 730 sq mi (1,900 sq km)
- Average Depth: 8 ft 10 in (2.7 m)
- Max Depth: 12 ft (3.7 m)
- Surface Elevation: 18 ft (5.49 m)
Lake Okeechobee from space; photo from NASA