- Name: Spain
(long form) Kingdom of Spain
- Capital City: Madrid (3,255,950 pop.)
- (5,843,031 metro)
- Spain Population: 47,370,542 (2013 est.)
World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Euro (conversion rates)
- 20 Euros
- Ethnicity: Spanish 87%, Latin Americans 7%, Western Europeans 3%, African and Middle Eastern 2%, other 1%
- GDP total: $1.409 trillion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $30,400 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Castilian Spanish (official) 74%, Catalan 17%, Galician 7%, Basque 2%, are official regionally
- Largest Cities: (by population) Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Sevilla, Zaragoza, Malaga, Murcia, Las Palmas, Bilbao, Palma
- Name: The meaning of the name Espana comes from the Phoenician word i-spn-ya, meaning "land where metals are forged".
- National Day: October 12
Note: Spain's National Day (Dia de la Hispanidad) commemorates the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus (Cristobal Colon) in 1492.
- Religion: Roman Catholic 94%, other 6%
Narrow City Street, Palma, Balearic Islands
Trending on WorldAtlas
Countries of Europe
This page was last modified on April 7, 2017.