It's recorded that Marco Polo was the first official visitor to the beautiful Andaman and Nicobar islands, a tropical archipelago of 572 islands.
Historically, farming and fishing were (and are) the main revenue sources here, however, increased tourism (especially from scuba divers and beach lovers) are providing another source of much-needed income.
Note that travel to the Nicobar Islands is restricted, and only Indian nationals engaged in research may visit. Some exceptions are made for tourists with special permits.
- Name: Andaman and Nicobar Islands; a territory of India since 1947
- Capital City: Port Blair (100,186 pop.)
- Population: 379,944 (2010 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Indian Rupee (INR)
- Language: Bengali (32.6%), Hindi (25.95%), Tamil including Sri Lankan Tamils (17.84%), Nicobarese and Telugu (18.93%)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Port Blair
- National Day: January 17
- Religion: Hinduism (67%), Christian, Muslim, Sikh
As a territory of India, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands fly the national flag of India.
The India flag was officially adopted on July 22, 1947, as the Indian subcontinent divided into India and Pakistan.
The orange represents courage and sacrifice, green symbolizes faith and chivalry, and white idealizes peace and truth. The Buddhist spinning wheel (Chakra) is centered.
- Coastline: 1,219 miles (1,962 km)
- Land Area:
(land) 3,184 sq miles (8,249 sq km)
(water) 0 sq miles (0 sq km)
(TOTAL) 3,184 sq miles (8,249 sq km)
To convert sq km (kilometers) to sq mi (miles)
use our converter
- Land Area: (all countries)
- Latitude & Longitude: (see map)
Port Blair: (capital city) 11° 40' N, 92° 44' E
Kolkata: 22° 34' N, 88° 21' E
Mumbai: 19° 4' N, 72° 52' E
- Horizontal Width: unknown
- Vertical Length: unknown
Note: Lengths and widths are point-to-point, straight-line measurements from a Mercator map projection, and will vary some using other map projections
- Geographic Center: unknown
- Highest Point: Saddle Peak 2,395 ft. (730 m)
- Lowest Point: Indian Ocean 0 m
- Andaman and Nicobar (large color) Map
- Andaman and Nicobar Outline Map
- Andaman and Nicobar CIA version
- Andaman and Nicobar detailed map
- India Map (large color)
- India Outline Map
- India CIA version
- Tsunami Map (December 2004)
Travel Info.ATTRACTIONS: (a few major)
Note: Travel to Nicobar Islands is restricted to Indian nationals.
In the Andamans, besides beach activities and prolific fishing venues, tourism highlights include mountain trekking, snorkeling and scuba diving.
A visit to Port Blair, Andaman's capital, should include stops at the Cellular Jail, the Anthropological Museum, Chatham Sawmill and the Marine Museum.
Excursions to the beautiful islands of Wandoor and Jolly Buoy are recommended as well as a trip to the bird sanctuary at Chiriyatapoo.
Accommodation choices are fairly simple with a few good eco resorts now available.
- Calling Code: 91, then 3192
- Electricity: 230V, 50Hz
PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirements. The people at Travel Visa Procan answer all of your questions!
Weather Andaman and Nicobar Islands enjoy tropical weather year-round, with humidity running on the high side.
During the monsoon months (May - September) and (November - mid-December), heavy to moderate rain can be expected.
High temperatures throughout the year average near 87°F (31°C), while lows are near 73°F (23º C).
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The 10 Largest Cities in the World
29 Largest Armies In The World
The Most Popular Sports in the World
The Richest Countries In The World
The Largest Football (Soccer) Stadiums In The World
The Most Obese Countries In The World