Dubai is undoubtedly the most famous and largest city in the United Arab Emirates. Demographically, the city is composed of 2,789,000 people. The population density is 408.18 people per square km. Arabic is the official national language used for communication purposes with English being the second language. Islam is the state religion recognized in Dubai.
Fun Facts About Dubai
- It is the only city to have veto power besides Abu Dhabi in the emirates.
- It is a major business and transport hub in the Middle East.
- Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the entire universe is located here among many other iconic skyscrapers.
- In terms of standards of living, Dubai is the most expensive city in the Middle East not to mention that it ranks twenty second most expensive city in the world standings.
- Considering the infrastructure and amenities, Dubai has the second most expensive hotel rooms in the world.
The city is located on the Persian Gulf. The gulf falls along the coast of the United Arab Emirates. Dubai is bordered by Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Sultanate of Oman. Giving its position in reference to the longitudes and latitudes, it lies 25.2697 degrees North and 55.3095 degrees east. The total area covered by the city is 4,110 kilometers squared. Dubai lies within the Arabian Desert though its topography differs when compared to that of the southern area of the United Arab Emirates. Its landscape is dominated by sandy desert patterns. Unlike other areas in the region, the city is not prone to tsunamis due to the shallow waters in the Persian Gulf. Dubai is also privileged to be rich in marine life with over 300 species of fish being found in its waters. Another key point worth noting about the city is that it lies on the migration path of birds which migrate during spring and autumn. Owing to the fact that the city lies within a desert, it experiences a hot desert climate. The summers are very hot with the average temperature being 41 degree centigrade.
The political system of Dubai is structured in that it is an absolute monarchy with little electoral process.The Al Maktoum family has been in leadership of Dubai since as early as 1833. The figure head who heads the city is Sheikh Mohammed. In addition to that position, he is the vice president as well as the prime minister of the United Arab Emirates.