The National Register of Historic Places consist of a list of properties which have been identified in the US as worthy of preservation because of their importance in the history, architecture, engineering, culture, and archaeology of America. For the properties to be eligible for listing on the National Register, it must be associated with at least one event that has significantly contributed to the broad pattern of the history of America, the lives of significant people in the past, or bears distinctive characteristics of a type of construction or a masterwork with high artistic value.
10. Devils Tower Entrance Road - Devils Tower, Wyoming
The Devil’s Tower is made up of igneous rocks in the Bear Lodge Mountain. The tower rises to a height of 1,262 feet. The Devil’s Tower is a national monument which was established in 1906 by President Roosevelt. The Entrance Road at the Devil’s Tower, also known as Wyoming Highway 110, is a road that leads to the tower providing scenic views. The road is 3 miles long and starts from Wyoming Highway 24 and was originally constructed in 1917. The Devils Tower Entrance Road provides access to the Devil’s Tower main developed areas such as the visitors’ centers and the headquarters.
9. San Jose de Gracia Church - Las Trampas, New Mexico
San Jose de Gracia ChurchSan Jose de Gracia Church is in Las Trampas, New Mexico was constructed between 1760 and 1766. The church is characterized by a plastered exterior which is refurbished by the congregation. The church roof was repaired, and some renovations were done in the church in 1932 by the Society of Preservation. The ceiling is of the church has the 18th and 19th-century design while the interior also has notable artwork from the 18th and 19th century. San Jose de Gracia Church was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
8. Daniels and Fisher Tower - Denver, Colorado
The Daniels and Fisher Tower is a major landmark in Denver, Colorado which was built as part of Daniel and Fisher department store. The 325-foot tall tower was built in 1910 and was modeled after The Campanile. The tower has 20 floors with clock faces all the four sides. The tower was renovated in 1981 and transformed into residential and office space. The basement of the Daniels and Fisher Tower is home to Lannie’s Clocktower Cabaret entertainment. The tower was listed on the NRHP in 1969.
7. Beehive House - Salt Lake City, Utah
The Beehive House was the official residence of Brigham Young who was one of the leaders of the LDS Church. The Beehive House was named so because of the beehive sculpture atop the building. The Beehive House’s construction work was completed in 1854. Young, a polygamist, constructed the house to accommodate his large family. He lived in the house with is his legally recognized spouse, Marry Ann Angell. The house was also an executive mansion of the territory of Utah between 1852 and 1855. Young accommodated most of his guests at the Beehive House. The neighboring Lion House which was also Young’s residence is connected to the Beehive House by suits of rooms.
6. Painted Desert Inn - Navajo County, Arizona
The Painted Desert Inn is a complex lodge which is located Petrified National Park in Navajo County. The inn was designed in the Pueblo Revival Style and was constructed Civilian Conservation Corps between 1937 and 1940 with a section of the lodge remodeled in 1920. The artistic work on the inn was done by Fred Kobotie who is a Hopi artist. The main building of the inn was rehabilitated and restored in 2006 and now serves as a museum and bookstore. Painted Desert Inn does not offer overnight food services and accommodation.
5. Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site - Powell County, Montana
The Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site was established in 1972 as a commemoration of the Western cattle industry of the 1850s. The ranch was first created in 1862 by fur traders at Montana. It was later expanded by the cattle baron between 1866 and 1920 and now covers an area of about 2.5 square miles. The National Park Service acquired the Grant-Kohrs Ranch in 1870 from the original owner Con Warren and established it as a National Historic Site in 1972 to provide inspiration and understanding to the future generation. It is a main attraction in Montana.
4. Old Idaho State Penitentiary - Boise, Illinois
The Old Idaho State Penitentiary was used as a prison from 1872 to 1973 in Boise Illinois. The first building was constructed in 1870 in the Territory of Idaho which was less than ten years old at the time of construction. The 600 capacity prison received more than 13,000 inmates in the 101 years of its operation. The prison components include the cell House, administration buildings, dining hall, and women’s ward among other buildings. Old Idaho State Penitentiary was placed on NRHP in 1973 because of its significance as a territorial prison.
3. King Street Station - Seattle, Washington
The King Street Station is a popular railways station located in Seattle south of downtown. The station was constructed from 1904 to 1906 and mainly served the Great Northern and the Northern Pacific Railways. It was the only train terminal until the construction of the Union Station in 1911. King Street Station has undergone series of repairs and facelift to replace the old models and modernize the facility. The station was added to the NRHP in 1973 and was acquired by the City of Seattle in 2008 who provided funds for its renovation.
2. Hawthorne Bridge - Portland, Oregon
The Hawthorne Bridge has vertical lifts which cross the Willamette River in Portland Oregon. It is the oldest highway bridge in Portland and also one of the busiest bridges in Oregon for cyclists with over 8,000 using the bridge daily. Hawthorne Bridge was built to replace Madison Street Bridge which was a wooden bridge built in 1900. The automated bicycle counter was installed on the bridge in 2002, and the bridge was added to the NRHP in 2012.
1. Santa Barbara Mission - Santa Barbara, California
The Santa Barbara Mission located near Santa Barbara is a Spanish Mission which was founded in 1786. It has housed high schools and seminary for laymen. Father Fermin Lasuen consecrated the mission grounds, and the Santa Barbara Mission is the only mission remaining under the leadership Franciscan Friars.
What is the Beehive House?
The Beehive House was the official residence of Brigham Young who was one of the leaders of the LDS Church. The Beehive House was named so because of the beehive sculpture atop the building. The Beehive House’s construction work was completed in 1854.
About the Author
John Misachi is a seasoned writer with 5+ years of experience. His favorite topics include finance, history, geography, agriculture, legal, and sports.
Your MLA Citation
Your APA Citation
Your Chicago Citation
Your Harvard CitationRemember to italicize the title of this article in your Harvard citation.