- Name: Cuba
(long form) Republic of Cuba
- Capital City: Havana (2,141,993 pop.)
- Cuba Population: 11,061,886 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Cuba has two official currencies, the Cuban Peso (CUP) and the Cuban Contertible Peso (CUC).
Note: When traveling to Cuba you will exchange your currency for convertible pesos as this is the currency used by tourists and corporations doing business in Cuba. Convertible Pesos purchased with US dollars will be exchanged with a mandatory 10% tax.
Most Cubans are paid in both currencies, however most Cubans use the "regular" peso to purchase everyday items like food and clothing. The Cuban Peso is considerably less than the convertible peso. As a tourist you may see two prices listed for items, expect to pay the convertible peso value.
Three Cuban Pesos
Ten Cuban Convertible Pesos
- Ethnicity: white 65.1%, mulatto and mestizo 24.8%, black 10.1% (2002 census)
- GDP total: $121 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $10,200 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Spanish (official)
- Largest Cities: (by population) Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Camaguey, Holguin, Santa Clara, Guantanamo, Bayamo, Victoria de Las Tunas, Cienfuegos, Manzanillo, Pinar del Rio
- Name: The name Cuba comes from a Taino native world.
Scholars are unclear about the exact meaning of the word. Some think is
means "great place".
Note: Cuba is the only country in the world whose name was not changed after a communist revolution.
- National Day: January 1
- Religion: Prior to Fidel Castro assuming power the country was 85% Roman Catholic. Protestants, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews, and Santeria are also present in the country although the percentages are unknown.
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
The Richest Countries In The World
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
29 Largest Armies In The World
29 Most Obese Countries In The World
The Richest Countries In Africa
10 States With The Largest African-American Populations
10 Most Visited Countries In The World