- Name: Norway
(long form) Kingdom of Norway
(local short form) Norge
- Capital City: Oslo (875,000 pop.)
- Norway Population: 4,722,701 (2013 est.)
- World Populations (all countries)
- Currency: Norwegian Krone - (plural) Kroner
100 Norwegian Krones
- Ethnicity: Norwegian 94.4%, other European 3.6%, other 2% (2007 estimate)
- GDP total: $278.1 billion (2012 est.)
- GDP per capita: $55,300 (2012 est.)
- Land Sizes
- Language: Bokmal Norwegian (official), Nynorsk Norwegian (official), small Sami- and Finnish-speaking minorities
- Largest Cities: (by population) Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, Fredrikstad. Note that the Oslo metro area now exceeds 1.1 million.
- Name: Some medieval texts attribute the name to the mythical King Norr. However, it's generally assumed the name is derived from Old Norse "norovegr," meaning "the northern route" (the way northwards).
- National Day: May 17, Constitution Day
- Religion: Church of Norway 85.7%, Pentecostal 1%, Roman Catholic 1%, other Christian 2.4%, Muslim 1.8%, other 8.1% (2004)
Steep cobblestone street in Stavanger, Norway
Trending on WorldAtlas
Countries of Europe
This page was last modified on April 7, 2017.