- Bird: Gallic Rooster
- Coat of Arms:
- Coat of Arms: The current emblem of France
has been a symbol of France since 1953, although it does not have any
legal status as an official coat of arms. It is printed on the cover of
French passports and was adopted originally by the French Foreign
Ministry as a symbol for use by diplomatic and consular missions during
1912. It is considered an emblem rather than a coat of arms, since it
does not respect heraldic rules.
The emblem consists of a wide shield with, on the one end a lion-head and on the other an eagle-head, bearing a monogram "RF" standing for Republique Francaise (French Republic). A laurel branch symbolizes victory of the Republic, the oak branch symbolizes perennity or wisdom, and the fasces is a symbol associated with justice (the bundle of rods and an axe, carried by Roman lictors).
- Flag of France
- Flower: Lily
- Marianne: Marianne is present everywhere in France and holds a place of honor in town halls and law courts. She symbolizes the "Triumph of the Republic", and stands as a bronze sculpture overlooking Place de la Nation in Paris. Her profile is found on the official seal of the country, and engraved on coins and drawn on stamps and banknotes. Next to the flag, Marianne is considered the most prominent depiction of the French Republic.
- Motto: "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" meaning "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity"
- National Anthem: La Marseillaise (words and music by C. Rouget de Lisle), may be the best-known and most inspirational national anthem in the world.
- National Emblem: The Gallic Rooster decorated French flags during the Revolution, and since 1848, the rooster has been seen on the seal of the Republic. It was used from 1899 as a motif on gold 20 franc coins and it occasionally appears on stamps.
- National Holiday: July 14 (or "Fete de la Federation") is celebrated with a mixture of solemn military parades, dancing in the streets and fireworks. The storming of the Bastille on July 14, 1789 has been commemorated in France for more than a century.
- Official Emblem:
The official emblem of the Government of the French Republic, one using the face of Marianne.
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Largest Countries in the World
The Richest Countries In The World
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
29 Largest Armies In The World
The World's Largest Big Cats
29 Most Obese Countries In The World
The 25 Safest Countries In The World
Most Dangerous Cities in the World
30 Least Populated Countries In The World