First settled by the Norwegian Vikings, these islands, politically connected to Denmark since the 14th Century, have enjoyed home rule since 1948, and continually strive for full sovereignty.
Many of the inhabitants live in and around the Thorshavn area, the administrative capital and largest city in the islands.
With very little cultivated land, sheep raising is a significant business, and in fact, the name Faeroe Islands is said to mean "Sheep Islands." Fishing, and offshore oil finds help diversify the economy.
Ferries and shipping companies link the islands to the European mainland, and tourism is a growing business.
The Faeroe Island's maps and information pages are currently being revised, and will be posted soon.
Quick Facts and Figures
- Official Name Faeroe Islands (alt. Faroe, or Føroyar) a self governing territory of Denmark, claimed in 1380
- Administrative Capital Torshavn
- Flag here
- Languages Faeroese, Danish
- Latitude/Longitude 62º 00' N, 7º 00' W
- Official Currency Danish Krone
- Religions Lutheran
- Population 46,345
- Land Area 1,399 sq km (540 sq miles)
- Landforms Similar to Iceland, the Faeroes are lava based islands with elevated coastal cliffs and some elevated peaks. The highest point (on Eysturoy) rises to 2,894 ft. (882m)
- Grass grows along the base of local mountains, but few trees survive because of the relentless North Atlantic winds.
- Faeroe Islands Outline Map here
- Faeroe Islands CIA version here
- European Continent here
- European Continent at UT here
- Faeroe Islands Tourism here
- Faeroe Islands Art Museum here
- Denmark Pages here
- Climate winters are mild, summers are cool and most days are overcast, foggy and (very) windy. Ocean storms and thick fog are common, and North Atlantic hurricanes do occasionally strike the islands in the summer months.
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
The Richest Countries In The World
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
29 Largest Armies In The World
29 Most Obese Countries In The World
The Richest Countries In Africa
What Animals Live In The Amazon Rainforest?
Cities With The Most Millionaires