French Guiana's Information
View all cities in French Guiana
French Guiana , the oldest overseas possession of France, is not a well-known tourist attraction. However, its fascinating history and the biodiversity of this tropical wildlife paradise makes it a colorful and worthwhile travel destination.
Major attractions include a series of nature preserves, featuring thousands of extraordinary animal and plant species; beautiful, unspoiled beaches; quality game fishing; scuba diving venues; adventure tours into the Amazon rain forest, and more.
Additional points-of-interest include the notorious one-time penal colony of Devil's Island, the culture, history and museums of Cayenne; a visit to Kourou and the European Space Agency communication satellite launch center.
As French Guiana is a department of France, the local currency is the Euro. It is also important to note that French is the official language and English is not widely spoken.
- Tourist Board of French Guiana (French/English)
- Electricity: 220/127V, 50Hz
- Times to Travel: French Guiana maintains a warm average temperature (83° F/28° C) and high humidity year round.
The best time to travel is during the dry season, from July to December. January to June is the rainy season and May is the rainiest month.
- European Space Agency
- French Guiana Airports
- French Guiana Bird Watching (French)
- French Guiana Guide (French)
- Nature Preserves (French/English)
- Surfing in French Guiana
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirments. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
- French Guiana Travel Advice and Warnings