District of Columbia History Timeline
- (1600) Piscataway American Indians lived in area
- (1790) A bill passed to locate a new capital along the Potomac River. George Washington picked the site
- (1791) French architect Major Pierre-Charles L'Enfant submitted his design
- (1793) Cornerstone of the new capital building was laid by George Washington
- (1800) The federal government officially moved to Washington, D.C.
- (1812) British burned the city during the War of 1812
- (1824) The Marquis de Lafayette was the first foreign dignitary to address the U.S. Congress
- (1862) Slavery was abolished in Washington, D.C.
- (1881) President James Garfield died, the victim of an assassination in a Washington rail station
- (1888) Washington Monument opened
- (1914) The Lincoln Memorial was completed
- (1943) Jefferson Memorial was completed
- (1953) The restoration of the While House was finished
- (1963) More than 200,000 marched on Washington, heard Martin Luther King, Jr.'s, "I Have a Dream" speech
- (1973) Washingtonians given the right to vote for their mayor and city council
- (1981) President Reagan shot and nearly killed in assassination attempt
- (1982) Vietnam Veterans Memorial erected in Constitution Gardens
- (1990) Washington Mayor Marion Barry received jail sentence for cocaine possession
- (1992) House approved statehood for D.C., but Senate did not
- (1993) U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum opened near Mall
- (1997) President Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial was officially dedicated
- (2001) Terrorists attacked the Pentagon
- (2009) George Walker Bush, the 43rd President of the United States moved out of the White House.
- (2009) Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States moved into the White House.
- (2009) Two Metro transit trains crashed, killed nine
- (2010) Major winter storm brought over 24 inches of snow, closed airports, delayed trains
- (2011) Earthquake in Virginia felt in Washington, D.C. Several buildings were damaged
District of Columbia Photographs
District of Columbia Cities, Counties & Area Codes
|Washington||District of Columbia||202|
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
Why Does Ice Float?
Is the Moon a Planet or a Star?
Countries That Start With The Letter N
Which Country Has the Most Lakes?
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The Most Popular Sports in the World