|Land Area||102 km2|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Democracy (Legislative Council); Self-governing Overseas Territory Of The UK|
|GDP (PPP)||$43.78 Million|
|GDP Per Capita||$8,500|
ATTRACTIONS: (a few major)
Nearly two-thirds of the island was devastated by a series of volcanic eruptions in the mid-1990's, including the capital city of Plymouth. New developments have risen, and the major hubs of activities are now centered in the north-west end of the island in Brades, Carr's Bay, Little Bay and Sweeneys.
Sometimes referred to as the modern-day Pompeii, tours of the devastated areas are available by boat.
For outdoor enthusiasts, there is plenty to do, including bird watching, hiking the trails of the Centre Hills, turtle watching on the black sandy beaches, plus water adventures of diving, snorkeling, fishing or kayaking.
One of the most popular spots to visit is the Runaway Ghaut, where people can drink the legendary cool spring water. The legend says "If you drink the waters from this burn, to Montserrat you will return". And, many people do just that.
CONVENTION AND VISITOR BUREAUS:
- Electricity: 230V, 60Hz
- Times to Travel: With year-round warm temperatures, any time is a good time to plan a visit to Montserrat.
Average temperatures annually range from a high of 88° F (31° C) to lows around 76° F (24° C) with constant breezes from the sea and the mountains.
The ideal time to visit is December through June, as historically, this is the driest time of the year and hurricane season has not begun.
TOURISM SITES AND LINKS:
- Diving Sites
- Montserrat Hospitality Association
- Montserrat National Trust
- Montserrat Volcano Observatory
- Montserrat's Beaches
- Search Montserrat Travel Guide
PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirments. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
- Montserrat Travel Advice and Warnings