There are hundreds of interesting sites spread across Central America and these are but a few. For additional info and links explore the individual countries on the map.
- The Great Blue Hole is a large underwater sinkhole off the coast of Belize. It lies near the center of Lighthouse Reef. It's circular in shape, and over 300 metres (984 ft) across and 124 metres (407 ft) deep....
- Gulf of Fonseca stretches inward from the Pacific Ocean for just over 41 miles and covers an estimated area of 700 sq. miles. The fringes of this fertile volcanic landscape are indented by a seemingly endless series of winding lagoons - all covered by mangrove swamp...
- Lake Izabal is ringed by a tropical rain forest, and home to a rich population of fish. The Maya constructed numerous sites around this beautiful lake - and who could blame them - as the flora and fauna within the surrounding landscape continues to be a magnet for visitors, especially eco-tourism types...
- Lake Nicaragua has hundreds of islands, including an archipelago of over 350 tiny islets near the port city of Granada. The lake's largest islands include Ometepe, actually formed by the lava flow of two volcanoes; Conception is still active while Maderas is dormant; beautiful Zapatera Island, and further to the south, the thirty-some islands of the Solentiname archipelago...
- The Panama Canal extends across the Isthmus of Panama from Colon on the Atlantic Ocean (Caribbean Sea) side, to Balboa and the Pacific Ocean. It was built by the...
- Tikal is one of the largest archaeological sites and urban centres of the pre-Columbian Maya civilization. It is located in the archaeological region of the Petén Basin in what is now northern Guatemala...
- Volcanoes of Central America are located along the Ring of Fire. The isthmus itself contains many volcanoes; some are clearly dormant with unknown details on their last eruptions, while others are considered potentially active, and a few are currently active and have erupted in...
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
Why Does Ice Float?
Is the Moon a Planet or a Star?
Countries That Start With The Letter N
Which Country Has the Most Lakes?
Shanghai, China is said to be the world's most populated city.
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The Most Popular Sports in the World