|Total Area||0km2 (#194)|
|Government Type||Ecclesiastical Elective Monarchy; Self-described As An "absolute Monarchy"|
ATTRACTIONS: (a few major)
There are many things to see and do in this top attraction. The Vatican Museums is the largest museum complex in the world with over 1,400 rooms, including the Sistine Chapel with Michelangelo's famous ceiling frescoes.
St. Peter's Basilica, built on the site of Peter's Tomb in Saint Peter's Square, contains many pieces of art, including Michelangelo's Pieta. Below the main floor of the Basilica, are the grottoes, which contain the tombs of the Popes.
A trip to the cupola at the top of the Basilica offers spectacular views of Saint Peters Square and of Rome. In lieu of climbing the 320 steps, there is an elevator to the roof.
Standing at attention in colorful uniforms at various buildings and the entrances of Vatican City are the Swiss soldiers, who serve as bodyguards, ceremonial guards and palace guards. They have been on duty since 1506.
The Vatican has its own post office and stamps and is located in St. Peter's Square; adjacent to it is the gift and book store.
There is so much to see and do, that one day in Vatican City is never enough time.
CONVENTION AND VISITOR BUREAUS:
- Discover Italy (Italian Tourism)
- Calling Code: 379
- Electricity: 230V, 50Hz
- Drive on the: Right
- Times to Travel: Italy has a largely temperate climate, making it a perfect year-round destination. Most people visit between June and August, however the best time to visit is in Spring (April-May) and Autumn (September-October) when the weather is consistently at its best.
Most Italians take their vacation in August and many shops and restaurants are closed during this period.
The busiest time for tourism is May until September.
TOURISM SITES AND LINKS:
- Castel Sant'Angelo (Italian)
- Italian Words and Phrases
- Italy Travel Information
- Rome Travel
- Saint Peter's Basilica
- Sistine Chapel Art
- Vatican Museums
- UNESCO Sites
PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirements. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
- Vatican City Travel Advice and Warnings