|Land Area||130,647 km2|
|Water Area||1,310 km2|
|Total Area||131,957km2 (#95)|
|Government Type||Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$291.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$26,800|
View all cities in Greece
- Achilles hero, warrior
- Evangelia Adam model
- Aeschylus playwright
- Aesop author
- Alexander the Great military commander
- Heron Alexandrinus mathematician, physicist, engineer
- Manolis Andronikos archaeologist
- Jennifer Aniston actress, model (born in USA)
- John Aniston actor
- Antisthenes philosopher
- Archimedes mathematician, engineer
- Aristophanes author
- Aristotle philosopher and mathematician
- Tommy Lee Bass rock musician
- Bias philosopher
- Bulgari family renowned jewelers
- Maria Callas singer, soprano
- John Capodistria first president of greece
- John Cassavetes film director
- Cornelius Castoriadis economist and philosopher
- Constantine Cavafy poet
- Giannoulis Chalepas sculptor
- Depy Chandris jewelry designer
- John D. Chandris family shipping industry, cruises
- Chilon philosopher
- Constantine the Great first byzantine emperor
- Saint Cyril developed the glagolitic alphabet
- Demosthenes greek statesman, orator
- Alex Dimitriades actor
- Diogenes cynic philosopher
- El Greco artist, sculptor
- Epicurus philosopher
- Euclid mathematician and father of geometry
- Euripides playwright
F - G
- Spiros Fokas actor
- Mario Frangoulis opera singer
- Nicholas Gage author
- Galen physician
- Nick Galis basketball player (born in USA)
- Keti Garbi singer
- Stelios Giannakopoulos soccer player
- Manolis Glezos politician, author
- Stelios Haji-Ioannou entrepreneur, founder easy jet airline
- Mason Hatzidakis composer
- Hector trojan prince, legendary hero
- Hercules legendary hero
- Herodotus greek physician, known as father of history
- Hesiod poet
- Hippocrates physician, father of medicine
- Homer poet
- Yanni Hrisomallis composer
- Arianna Huffington author, commentator
- Ictinus co-designer Parthenon
Is a famous person missing from this page?
Submit your Famous Greek
What Is a Pentathlon?
Pentathlon is a word of Greek origin formed by combining two words, pente (five) and athlon (competition). The Pentathlon is a competition with five different sporting events. Pentathlon events can be traced to Ancient Greek Olympic Games in Olympia city-state where it included the long jump, javelin throw, discus throw, stadion (a series of short races), and a wrestling match as the main event.
10 Sports That Came From Ancient Greece
What Kind of Government Does Greece Have?
Greece is a parliamentary republic and the President, the Head of State of Greece, is elected by the Parliament every five years.
What Type Of Government Does Greece Have?
What is the Biggest City in Greece?
Athens, the capital city of Greece, is also the largest city in the country. It has a population of 3.7 million people.
The Biggest Cities In Greece
What Language is Spoken in Greece?
Greek, the official language of Greece, is used by the majority of the country's population. English is the most widely spoken foreign language.
What Languages are Spoken in Greece?
What are the minority ethnic groups in Greece?
Albanians are the largest ethnic minority in Greece. Other minority groups include Roma (Romani), Aromanians, Macedonians, and Arvanites.
Ethnic Groups of Greece
What are the religious beliefs in Greece?
92% of the population in Greece practice Eastern Orthodox Christianity, 3% practice Irreligion, 3% practice Islam, and 2% have other beliefs.