Though isolated and difficult to reach, Tajikistan is certainly a visually stunning destination, one with enormous potential.
Tourism levels are on the rise due to governmental stability procedures, but travelers are generally advised to use an experienced tour company.
Tajikistan's main entry point is Dushanbe, the capital city, and major attractions include archeological sites; some amazing mountain climbing; ecological tours; river rafting and a selection of niche health resorts.
With its close proximity to Afghanistan, western travelers are advised to be vigilant as extremist groups remain active. Note that terrorists do not distinguish between official and civilian targets and travelers should increase their vigilance in areas where Westerners congregate.
CONVENTION AND VISITOR BUREAUS:
- Visit Tajikistan (Tourism Authority of Tajikistan)
- Calling Code: 992
- Electricity: 220V, 50Hz
- Drive on the: Right
- Times to Travel: Tajikistan has two periods during the year that appeal to most travelers - the Spring season from March until May and the Autumn from September to November. The temperatures are moderate and both seasons offer lots to see and do.
Summers are extremely hot, especially in the cities, where the daytime temperatures can exceed 105° F (40° C).
Winters tend to be mild, except in the mountains where the conditions are quite harsh and many passes are closed.
TOURISM SITES AND LINKS:
- Intourist Tajikistan Travel Co.
- National Museum of Antiquities
- Pamir Highway Adventures
- Pomir Region (Pamirs)
- Silk Road Tajikistan
- Tourism Development Center
- UNESCO Sites
- Zeravshan Tourism Development Assn.
PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirements. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
|Land Area||141,510 km2|
|Water Area||2,590 km2|
|Total Area||144,100km2 (#94)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$25.81 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$3,000|