ATTRACTIONS: (a few major) Sri Lanka is one of the most scenic places on earth - thousands of miles of coastline and beautiful beaches; the central highlands' tea plantations; rainforests and deserts.
Threre are three distinct zones which are divided by elevation - central highlands, plains and coastal belt - all offering their own unique sites and activities.
Other major points of interest include the ancient city of Anuradhapura; Batticaloa, the land of the singing fish; Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage; the Buddhist and Hindu Temples; and Adam's Peak at the Holy Mountain.
Note: It is strongly advised to exercise a high degree of caution in Sri Lanka due to the high risk of politically motivated violence.
Violence has been reported in the towns of Aluthgama (near Bentota) and Beruwala (south of Colombo) resulting in several reported deaths and the destruction of local businesses. Both locations are common vacation spots for local and international visitors. Local authorities have issued an indefinite curfew that is being strictly enforced by the police and have warned that anyone violating the curfew will be arrested and charged.
In both the Northern and Eastern Provinces stay on main roads and pay close attention to signs warning of danger from landmines.
CONVENTION AND VISITOR BUREAUS:
- Calling Code: 94
- Electricity: 230V, 50Hz
- Drive on the: Left
- Times to Travel: Sri Lanka is considered to be a year-round travel destination, as some part of the country is suitable to visit each month of the year.
In the hill country and southwest coastal areas, November to April is the most desirable period and is considered to be the tourism season.
The eastern coast is best visited May to September.
TOURISM SITES AND LINKS:
- Adam's Peak - Lanka's Holy Mountain
- Colombo City Guide
- Eco Team - Sri Lanka
- Go-Lanka Accommodations and Travel Guide
- Golf Courses Guide
- Hikkaduwa Tourism Guide
- Hotels & Travel Guide
- Jaffna District Guide
- Kandy City Guide
- National Museums
- Sacred Destinations
- Sri Lanka Holidays & Tours
- Sri Lanka Travel Guide
- Sri Lanka Trekking
- UNESCO Sites
PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirements. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
- Sri Lanka Travel Advice and Warnings
Sri Lanka's Information
|Land Area||64,630 km2|
|Water Area||980 km2|
|Total Area||65,610km2 (#120)|
|Government Type||Presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$237.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$11,200|
|More Information||Sri Lanka|